Bsp Vs Npt Thread Size On Temp Probes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
so BSP will mate with NPT ok ?

where did you get the reducer (1/2" to 1/4")?

Can you BSP to NPT adapter or is it close enough not to bother?

BSP and NPT are fairly compatible, the rest of the sizes DO NOT inter change.
Nothing to do with parallel or tapered (both are available in either) purely the number of threads per inch (in the old money) that will be determined by an equation, and the shape of the thread cross-section.
If you wanted to mate a NPT to the rest of your system use a to NPT bush, the probe will seal well and you wont have any fitting the NPT thread into your BSP fittings.
Mark

I've got this one installed on my Rims tube, NPT thread. No problems at all screwing it into the BSP fitting.
Any reason why you are opting for such a short probe?
I would get the 4" probe & orientate the T-piece so that the branch end screws onto your 1/2" nipple, the probe screws into one end of the T & the opposite end is your destination.

BSP and NPT are fairly compatible, the rest of the sizes DO NOT inter change.
Nothing to do with parallel or tapered (both are available in either) purely the number of threads per inch (in the old money) that will be determined by an equation, and the shape of the thread cross-section.
If you wanted to mate a NPT to the rest of your system use a to NPT bush, the probe will seal well and you wont have any fitting the NPT thread into your BSP fittings.
Mark
There you go, I've learnt something.

Crusty,

The problem is I'm stumbling in the dark a bit here.

I was thinking the probe should be in the T of the joiner but i suppose it makes sense it could be in the end and be longer. So long as it's not so long as to interfer with the Ball Valve.
I'll have to measure the T joiner and see if it will protude past it. (or maybe move the ball valve...)

MHB,

so If I get this probe. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=246
It means I don't have to worry about the adapter as it should screw into the 1/2" BSP F-F-F T junction. ???

This is what I want as the adapter bush is about the same price as another probe.

Also, Can you have 2 probes connected to a Auber PID and manually switch them or does the PID fail due to loss of connection to probe at time of switching?

BOG

Brian

Crusty,

The problem is I'm stumbling in the dark a bit here.

I was thinking the probe should be in the T of the joiner but i suppose it makes sense it could be in the end and be longer. So long as it's not so long as to interfer with the Ball Valve.
I'll have to measure the T joiner and see if it will protude past it. (or maybe move the ball valve...)

MHB,

so If I get this probe. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=246
It means I don't have to worry about the adapter as it should screw into the 1/2" BSP F-F-F T junction. ???

This is what I want as the adapter bush is about the same price as another probe.

Also, Can you have 2 probes connected to a Auber PID and manually switch them or does the PID fail due to loss of connection to probe at time of switching?

BOG

Brian

This is how I was going to do my Herms before I went Rims. I still have this set up in case I ever go Herms.
Why would you need two temp probes?
I'm pretty certain you can only use the one probe.

DSC_0199.jpg

Looks the goods, if as you say it doesnt run into the tap (nothing to stop you putting a barrel nipple between the tea and the tap i.e. pieces of pipe threaded on both ends), the NPT male will go straight into a BSP female thread.
Mark

obviously 2.30pm is when people get back from lunch :)

Crusty,

i was going to recirculate the HLT water and monitor when it get to mash temps and the second was to monitor the recirculated mash in the tun.
I was hoping I could get 2 probes and a switch to switch inputs to a single PID. but thinking about that the hassel of reprograming temp limts would proberbly piss me off so much a second PID would be easier.

Mark,

that's the answer i needed as i had been spending friday afternoons googleing for a SS adapter that did 1/2" BSP to 1/4" NPT with no luck.

BOG

Back