BRY 97

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread,been wanting to try bry97 for ages. I will of course rehydrate then pitch. Got 60lts to get through first then it's bry time.

Was approx 65ish hours between following the rehydration instructions and seeing this lazy single cell organism do anything.

If brewers yeast is a dog and Brett is a cat...what is BRY-97?

A mangie old mutt who can't walk anymore :mellow: ?

I have had the same experience with BRY-97 and cannot see a reason to go back.

has anyone on AHB done a yeast comparison with a split batch or the same recipe for say US05 / Bry97 and WLP001?

interested to see if people here think the same as the Rebel brewing link who thought Bry97 gave a dryer/ thinner body. I don't think I can brew that consistently to tell the difference between yeasts unless they are polar opposites...

dammag said:
A mangie old mutt who can't walk anymore :mellow: ?
manticle said:
hamster or guinea pig
I had thought something a little more passive agressive than these...

BRY-97: I'll ferment your wort...in my own good time.

pat86 said:
has anyone on AHB done a yeast comparison with a split batch or the same recipe for say US05 / Bry97 and WLP001?

interested to see if people here think the same as the Rebel brewing link who thought Bry97 gave a dryer/ thinner body. I don't think I can brew that consistently to tell the difference between yeasts unless they are polar opposites...
yes. in the only time i tried it, with no difference in process to my other brews, it stripped all hop character from the beer (39 IBU tasted like about 20). the beer also felt thin in the mouth. i won't be using it again in a hurry

EDIT: spelling

Interesting thread.... has anyone pitched BRY 97 into a starter? If so, was still a slow starter when pitched into the fermie?

Cheers, Fozz

Foster said:
Interesting thread.... has anyone pitched BRY 97 into a starter? If so, was still a slow starter when pitched into the fermie?

Cheers, Fozz
Yes and No.

Made a starter from a scoop of slurry on Friday night.
Pitched it into a 1052 AAA on Saturday arvo at 5.30 pm.
Sunday morning going flat out.... it is 2.30 Sunday arvo now and I will go and take an SG reading.........right I am back and it is 1036 as I type. That is less than 24 hours

I have used this yeast quite a few times now and at first I bought two packs for a 21 litre brew and had quite good results.
I then tried making a 1.5 litre starter from just one pack and that gave excellent results.
I have done this a few times now with this yeast but this was the first time I had reused it from a slurry.

To be honest, I think that the brewers that are having trouble with this yeast with slow starts and poor ferments are underpitching.....yes it is a bummer to have to buy two packs for your 20 litre pitch.

I have found it ferments very cleanly and clears and attenuates well and while it may reduce the perceived bitterness a tad it is nothing like its Pommie sister the Nottingham.

Just my views

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting to note the "do not pitch into a starter". I have pitched Safale 04 & 05 into starters 48hours prior to pitching & both work well for me.

Foster said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting to note the "do not pitch into a starter". I have pitched Safale 04 & 05 into starters 48hours prior to pitching & both work well for me.
According to dry yeast manufacturers some dried yeasts dont need oxygen as well but I note that they never seem to list under what circumstances this oxygen is not needed.
With AG brewing most boil wort at least for 60 minutes therefore driving off the oxygen from the wort.
I have found that a hit of o2 works wonders with dried yeasts and making a starter can only build numbers exactly the same as if a starter is made to build numbers with a liquid yeast. Rehydrating the yeast is probably OK provided the dried yeast has been stored well and is not old and is being pitched in the correct quantity.
These are only my observations, it is up to the individual as to how they use dried yeast.
My thoughts are that those little packets are directed at the home brewer and as such the instructions at times may not cover all situations.
I would be interested to hear from a commercial brewery that uses dried yeast as to wether they dont use oxygen in their wort.

Cheers

carniebrew said:
Foster, see section 4 of the instructions pdf: http://www.danstaryeast.com/system/files/pdfs/tds-bry-97-american-west-coast-yeast-english.pdf

Dry yeasts shouldn't be made up into starters, they're not designed for it. Either re-hydrate with water, or just sprinkle on top of your beer, depending on which deity you worship....
It says no such thing?

This is terrible advice. Even if you wish to follow the rehydration instructions by-the-book there's no reason you can't pitch the rehydrated yeast to a starter. If you were to do so, oxygenation on the actual wort would then be recommended. In the end, that method would provide the healthiest and most abundant yeast.

Of course, this is not required, but to say it would be detrimental is wrong.

To be specific, you shouldn't be pitching your DRY yeast into starter wort. The instructions are explicit on this.

As for re-hydrating and then pitching the resultant cream into a starter, my understanding is that this is not recommended, as the dry yeast has been packaged in such a way that it is ready (from a reproductive point of view) to be pitched into your beer, rather than re-producing in a starter first. If you're looking to increase the cell count prior to pitching, using multiple packets of dry yeast is a better option than growing in a starter.

I'm not an expert by any means, it's just what my research had turned up. To be honest I'd never heard of anyone pitching re-hydrated dry yeast into a starter until dent's post, so it seems (not surprisingly) there's a completely different school of thought in this area of yeast too. No surprises there!

EDIT; I should supply a reference..here's one I recall. Page 285 of "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Z and John Palmer:

You generally don't want to make a starter for dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water; do not make a starter.
Bit harsh calling that "terrible advice", especially for a Moderator, but it seems yeast discussions evoke a lot of passion around this place.

The reference I can't find at the moment was about dry yeasts ability to 'bud'. Yeast reproduce asexually by budding, and I recall reading that there's a limit as to how many times they can do so. The thing I was reading was saying that dry yeast is prepared in such a way that a starter would quickly use up that limit, which is why it's recommended to use more re-hydrated dry yeast rather than a starter to increase cell count. I'll keep trying to find where I read that...and of course it could be just someone's opinion I'm regurgitating here.

Referring back to my post of 1st March, I saved some slurry from that brew and pitched it again about ten days ago into a Kolsch style ale that's ready for kegging / bottling today (I'll shoot a couple of bottles off to the Grafton Show).

As with the last brew I got almost instant action, a reasonably fast fermentation but a lot of krausen, this yeast seems to gather at the top after fermentation like some of the other Chico yeasts, but on chilling down to -1 it drops like a rock and gives lovely clear beer.

I expect I'll need to bite the bullet and get some sachets of new yeast shortly but I find this is a perfect yeast for reusing yeast cake. Normally I wouldn't bother saving dry yeast, but when using it as slurry for repitching this yeast seems to be in its glory.

carniebrew said:
Bit harsh calling that "terrible advice", especially for a Moderator, but it seems yeast discussions evoke a lot of passion around this place.
The status of moderator doesn't deny anyone their thoughts or opinions on AHB. They (we) maintain the same posting rights and rules as anyone else.

Back to BRY 97 :)

carniebrew said:
Bit harsh calling that "terrible advice",
Maybe a little harsh.

I was mainly calling out "Dry yeasts shouldn't be made up into starters, they're not designed for it." as the "terrible" advice. I took the proscriptive interpretation of your remarks. Palmer's remarks you have quoted don't quite say the same thing, and I have no objection to those.

I appreciate the rests of your post - "not terrible". ;)

carniebrew said:
The reference I can't find at the moment was about dry yeasts ability to 'bud'. Yeast reproduce asexually by budding, and I recall reading that there's a limit as to how many times they can do so. The thing I was reading was saying that dry yeast is prepared in such a way that a starter would quickly use up that limit, which is why it's recommended to use more re-hydrated dry yeast rather than a starter to increase cell count. I'll keep trying to find where I read that...and of course it could be just someone's opinion I'm regurgitating here.
You might be remembering different things and mashing them together. Dr. Cone said that pitching dry yeast (after rehydration) into a starter might not be the best thing for the yeast as they will use the glycogen reserves that they had when they were packaged. If you pitch into a starter they use those reserves and have to build them up again to reproduce in the actual batch of beer. I can't find the reference right now but will update this post if I find it.

There is a finite number of times a cell can bud, but that's a different issue, I think, as it's unlikely you'll reach that limit in a starter or subsequent batch of beer.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Dr. Cone wasn't saying starters are always bad for dry yeast, just that you need to let the yeast build up their glycogen reserves before pitching the starter into the main wort.

EDIT2: I found the article I was looking for. Although Dr. Cone doesn't refer to starters per se, he does talk about the glycogen reserves about half way down his response. The same theory applies when making a starter, though - for a fast start in the main batch the yeast need to already have their reserves built up.

Latest posts

Back