Brut IPA advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing for about 18 months now. Mainly pale ales and IPAs as I just wanted to dial in my basic process before I started branching out into anything requiring additional knowledge, equipment or technique. I pretty happy with my basic process now and I’m thinking of branching out and trying a brut IPA for my next beer. I’ve had a couple I’ve really liked

I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or advice or could point me to a good article or recipe.

Those who have brewed a brut before – what did you learn through the process and what would you do differently if you brewed one again?

Thanks heaps.

Brian.

I haven't brewed one to be honest, I don't think it would be to my liking but pulled this recipe off AHA.
Von Ebert Brewing Sabrage Brut IPA | American IPA
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5.5 gal (20.8 L)
  • 8 lb (3.63 kg) Pilsner malt
  • 2 lb (0.91 kg) Flaked Rice
  • 2 oz (56 g) Citra hops (mash)
  • 2 oz (56 g) Citra hops (lauter)
  • 2 oz (56 g) Citra hops (whirlpool)
  • 6 oz (170 g) Citra hops (dry hop)
  • 2 oz (56 g) Chinook hops (dry hop)
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.050
  • Final Gravity: 1.000
  • ABV: 6.6%
  • IBU: 10
DIRECTIONS
Mash at 142° F (61° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C). Lauter onto Citra hops. Boil for 90 minutes. Add cold water to hit target gravity if needed, then add whirlpool hops. Ferment with a neutral ale strain at 65° F (18° C). After terminal and diacetyl rest, dry hop for 3-5 days. Force carbonate or bottle condition to 3.0 volumes of CO2. For a special version of this recipe, try incorporating a grape varietal into the fermentation.

Thanks for this. Looks like a straight forward recipe. Interesting that it doesn't mention what type, when and how to add the enzyme to break down the unfermentable sugars. Or is the idea with this one that the grain bill and mash will only produce fermentable sugars so the enzyme isn't needed.

@Muz - The above recipe looks good, I'd mash closer to 63c though.

Use alpha amalyze and US-05.

Add amalyze when pitiching the yeast.

Back