Brown Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strods

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a dark ale in my fermenter, its a few days in and now im wondering / considering adding some brown sugar to it to give a bit moreflavor to the brew.

Being new to brewing im looking for some advice on if this is a good idea or should of it gone in at the start.

Another thing, I have put 2 brews ion recently using a starter kit, Do i need to add any dextrose or anything similar at the start of fermentation as the shop i purchased them from didnt give me any. I presumed the carbonation drops at bottling would give me the alcohol cotent.

strongly recommend you read the back of the can, or even better the little bit of paper under the lid of most kits.
The old "if all else fails - read the instructions".
If that's too hard, try here for the video

You can add sugar a few days in to fermentation but sugar it won’t really add flavour just alcohol. Well brown sugar does add a bit flavour but not in a good way in my opinion, even in a dark ale.

Soft brown sugar won't add much in the way of flavour. I know what you're thinking, brown sugar tastes super tasty, toffee like flavours and lots of melanoidins. However, fermentation will destroy most of that, it won't leave much behind.

Soft brown sugar won't add much in the way of flavour. I know what you're thinking, brown sugar tastes super tasty, toffee like flavours and lots of melanoidins. However, fermentation will destroy most of that, it won't leave much behind.

it will however bump the Alcohol back to nearer the expected ABV. right now it sounds like OP has forgotton the "kilo" portion of Kit and Kilo. Might have made yourself a nice Dark Mild Strods

I remember making a English brown ale some time back, the recipe called for molasses in the boil..... worst beer I have ever made, two sips and straight down the sink. Just wrong.

Back