Brown Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
I'm finding it more and more difficult to lift over 20 litres of boiling hot wort onto my laundry bench so I can transfer it to a cube for no-chill.
I'm considering using on of those cheap brown pumps from Craftbrewer to pump the hot wort from the boiler to the cube.
For those who have used these:
1. Will this work without damaging the pump because of the temp.
2. Is the flow slow enough to prevent hot side aeration of the wort?
3. Are these pumps easy to clean and sterilise?
I expect the pump will push the wort about a metre upwards.
Thanks and cheers

I'm finding it more and more difficult to lift over 20 litres of boiling hot wort onto my laundry bench so I can transfer it to a cube for no-chill.
I'm considering using on of those cheap brown pumps from Craftbrewer to pump the hot wort from the boiler to the cube.
Thanks and cheers

the pump will handle the height no worries, and yes you could slow it down to avoid HSA (if it's even an issue - debatable) by controlling with a ball valve, they are pretty easy to clean in the sense that the impeller housing just unscrews with 4 mounting screws to access the moving parts.

BUT, i wouldn't use a brown pump to do much handling of near boiling stuff for too long. It might be ok for the short amount of time it would take to fill a cube, but extended usage probably wouldn't be good for the brown pump.

FWIW, i use little brown pumps in my brewery, but not for anything after the mash.

Others will no doubt have a different opinion if they've actually used it to pump post boil, as i haven't.

Thanks and cheers

1. yes, but I suggest you let it cool slightly. If you whirlpool in the kettle, it will have cooled
2. Shhhhhh. don't mention HSA, you will start a war (Current consensus is that boiling or just boiled wort is too hot to absorb O2). Speed can be controlled using a dimmer switch.
3. yes

Thanks guys
Just to add something to the possible setup, I will probably be using a couple of those 1/2 inch stainless braided hoses with the nut on each end on both the inlet and outlet sides of the pump.
I was in Bunnings today checking them out and it was stated that the max. Temp is 90 deg. Probably because of the rubber core.
So I'll have to give the wort a bit of time anyway to cool before starting the transfer.
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers

get some barb fittings - http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4157

and use this hose - its food grade and will withstand boiling wort
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4378

The bunnings braided hoses are only good for plumbing your cistern on your toilet or taps
Gryphon has nice stainless ones that do the trick perfectly with 1/2" silicone hose

On the braided ezyhooker hoses from bunnings, very small internal bore in the end fittings and lovely rubbery taste added to every brew at no extra charge

Back