Brothernutz And His Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Thanks to brothernutz for his post on the zambezi pump you can see a picy here: http://www.chrystella.co.uk/xcart/catalog/...mp-p-16182.html
and you can order here: http://www.quirks.com.au/appliance.htm.

Strong 4 igpm at 15psi.
Pumps Fresh water.
Single and multi-outlet water systems up to 80C.
Gravity feed,manual prime,pressure switch/electric tap activated
Continuously rated
Should NOT be run dry for long periods.

Just placed my order $135 delivered to bundaberg. This weekend I plan to convert my other 2 kegs, one for a boiler with s/s mesh false bottom and the other as a hlt.

Can't wait to semi automate my brewery, no more picking up 20lt pots of sparge water or no more having to lift my boiler full of hot wort

That is a nice looking pump, and would be easy to speed control with the DC motor also.
When I am next in the market for a pump, this will definately get a look.

dreamboat

Definitely looks like a good pump.
What is the main difference between the 12v and 24v models though?
Does it just give greater speed control and more torque, or does it give it more head ?
The Chrystella website has exactly the same description for both.

Beers,
Doc

Doc

Specs are the same for both, these are used in caravans and for solar hot water heating, the voltage difference is for vans that have 24 vt batteries.

Andrew

hi andrew
keep us all informed as to how it peforms as it looks and sounds like a great pump.

cheeers
big d

what did it cost you for the 12v converter - and what wattage is the pump and converter...

Thanks

So you MIGHT be able to pick one up from a caravan accesories place?? like the one across the road from "Whats brewin" at Kogarah????

Great looking system BrotherNutz....

Hopefully, one day, with some time and money, I can get my systems automated to that extent or even more so.

dreamboat

How did you go with this pump Andrew ?
Have you run it at temps higher than 80degC (eg. from kettle through the CFWC ? Does it cutout after a period of time (eg. overheat) ?

TIA,
Doc

Doc Posted Yesterday, 09:46 PM
How did you go with this pump Andrew ?
Have you run it at temps higher than 80degC (eg. from kettle through the CFWC ? Does it cutout after a period of time (eg. overheat) ?

TIA,
Doc

Unfortunately Doc, It died on my first use, it was faulty, so I sent back to distributer who refunded my money. But I am told by another brewer that it works great.
This is my new pump

new_brew_stand_005.jpg
Have'nt tested her out yet as the new stand is not quite complete.

Andrew

Andrew,
How did the pressure pump go on the first run??
I have seen them at whitworths boating for about $75, and look like a cheap alternative.
My only apprehension is that they are a diaphram pump and may lead to aeration of the wort?

The pump worked really well. These are self priming so basically the air is sucked out of the line very quickly, unlike my old idra pump that was a real b@tch to prime and always seemed to have some air in the line.

I did take the precaution of recirculating by hand and jug for the first couple of litres and had an GMK(tm) inline filter on the line coming from the mash tun, but there was not much in it at the end. Overall I was really happy and I think this pump will be a good investment but time will tell.

You should note that these pressure pumps cannot be slowed down by a tap like the mag pumps, you need to build a speed controller to control the flow rate. I got a kit from Dick Smith $23.00.

Cheers
Andrew

Where did you buy the pump from Andrew ? Also the cost and model details etc ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc Posted Today, 03:06 PM
Where did you buy the pump from Andrew ? Also the cost and model details etc ?

Beers,
Doc

Better Imports Pty Ltd
Shop 2-1339 Princes Hwy
Heathcote, NSW 2233
Ph (02)95480900

Ecopump model FL40 17lt 12volt 40 psi $121.00

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Last question, I promise.
What temp is it rated too ?

Beers,
Doc

According to the importers, these pumps are manufactured in China, and it is very hard/impossible to get full specs on the unit so he is at the moment been unable to get FDA? compliance. He has assured me that they are produced for potable water consumption and the plastics are rated to food grade/ chemical usage. He could'nt tell me how high the temp is that they could take, but said the pump housing and diaphram and seal were safe for water. He said that the only problem could be that the internal seal my not hold up if using boiling water.

I had the pump circulating 89c water for about 15 min when i first received the pump with no problems. When I brew the highest temp it would be subject to is 78c for the sparge water.

I won't garantee these pumps as I have only used it twice and I am not certain of their capabilities.
Give the guy a call he may have found out some more info since then.

Cheers
Andrew
PS ask as many questions as you want, Cheers

Latest posts

Back