Bronzed brews recipe discussion.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchD

Reaction score
So I've read the book and now have the yeast so its time to step back into our colonial past and recreate some these classics, however playing around in beersmith produces some problems particularly with FG and colour.

For example my first planned recipe is "Tooths white horse ale" from page 287.
I subbed the MO for veloria as its what i have and the "castle 6 row pilsner" will be replaced with whatever pils malt i have on hand as i cant get the 6 row locally.

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.003 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 30.1 IBUs
Est Color: 8.2 EBC

3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
2.60 kg VELORIA Schooner(Voyager Craft Malt) (8.0 EBC) Grain 2 62.8 %
0.47 kg Pilsen (Dingemans) (3.2 EBC) Grain 3 11.4 %
0.07 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 4 1.7 %
1.00 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 5 24.2 %
24.56 g Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 6 19.7 IBUs
24.56 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 10.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Melbourne 1 (White Labs #059) Yeast 8 -

Now FG has me stumped, the amount of sugar called for in the recipe will always drag FG down BS estimation of 1.003. However the anticipated FG is a healthy 1.012? Am i missing something with this?

Interested to hear from others as the get brewing with this book.

i've found beersmith has never given me proper indications of FG. try lowering the mash temp and you'll see what I mean. anything less than 64 or 63c and it doesn't drop the FG. in fact, it moves it up which I've always found to be incorrect.

Missing 6 row, and estimated fg is calculated off attenuation of yeast. It doesn't really take everything into account like mash temp affecting fermiability of the wort.

Missing 6 row, and estimated fg is calculated off attenuation of yeast. It doesn't really take everything into account like mash temp affecting fermiability of the wort.
Its not missing i subbed it for another pils malt as i cant get 6 row. Beersmith does actually calculate FG based on mash temp, mashability of grain and yeast attenuation.

i've found beersmith has never given me proper indications of FG. try lowering the mash temp and you'll see what I mean. anything less than 64 or 63c and it doesn't drop the FG. in fact, it moves it up which I've always found to be incorrect.
Beersmith is very accurate if your recipe and mash temperature are accurate, lowering the mash temp does change FG however i have set mash temp to the 66c in the recipe.

This recipe is on my to do list. So I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

Still no answer on your question. I've got this recipe slotted in for a brew day in a few weeks and am wondering the same.

Spun my yeast up this weekend so I'll be brewing within the fortnight.

Brew day done. Came in at 1.044 couple of points low because I either added too much extra water for boil off of my 90 minute boil off was incorrect, either way it'll make beer.

Colour is very pale, as expected. Flavour is very sweet, also as expected with 1kg of sugar.
XJbUZ5

ai0p80

Waiting until it's ~18c to pitch but the yeast is ready to go.
XJcBzJ

68C5oW

Last edited:
FWIW the Veloria Schooner is a freakishly awesome malt. Easily one of my favourites. I'd keep it on hand all the time if I could.
Agreed, the maltster is a club member and all suppliers local are stocking it at the moment. Just wait until you get some of their Munich malt.

Nice. I just contacted Voyager last week and they said they've worked out a Victorian distributor, so I'm looking forward to easier access to the malts.

I brewed this recipe yesterday.

Came in slightly under at 1.045 (but I also ended up with more volume than I'd planned for, so that probably explains it).

I felt dirty adding so much sugar (it's that Reinheitsgebot guilt).

I'm also having to ferment this without temp control, as my fridge has another batch in it.

So I guess I'll be able to provide feedback on whether to expect big krausen (fingers crossed I don't have a big clean up).

Mine has chewed 10 points off in 24 hours with very little krausen. Temp is set at 18c but sofar it has happily sat around the 17.5c mark.
Lots of diacetyl but the hops are shining through.

So it's abut 36 hours after pitching (a healthy amount of) yeast. No temp control. Ambient temp is about 21C. I've just had SWMBO take a look and there's a krausen ring, but it went nowhere near needing to blow off.

I won't bother checking gravity at this stage, but it's that FG I'm most interested in.

Down to 1.012 @20c and showing no signs of slowing down

I just plugged in the malts & sugar into Brewers Friend for comparison and noted that the predicted FG was 1.008.

I asked the author of Bronzed Brews and he said his 2 attempts at this recipe (using WLP017) ended up at 1.013 and 1.010.

It's probably worth noting that WLP017 has a lower attenuation than WLP059. 67-73% vs 74-78% respectively.

What mash temperature did you set in brewers friend? I believe the author references brewers friend in the book so maybe that explains some of the differences in expected fg.

059 and 017 are both platinum/vault strains which makes it harder to replicate the recipes directly. I'll be holding onto most of the cake for later because of this.

Back