Broken Sight Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
Today whilst giving my urn a vigorous outside clean I managed to break the sight glass. I am not too worried as I don't use the thing. Was wondering what I could use to plug the hole? All I have to hand is some Selleys All Clear (multipurpose co-polymer sealant) or some Blue Tac (which I hate when the missus uses it on the walls or ceiling, but which I have effectively used to seal up an esky which I lost the bung for). Obviously I don't want anything which is going to put nasties in the water. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bob

Check out the range in cheeky peak could install a temp probe

I was thinking more along the lines of leaving the sight glass fitting in place and bogging up the hole where the sight glass used to sit. Don't want to put in a temp probe because my bag will get caught on it.

I did a temp fix with a piece of cork when I broke mine. I jammed a piece in from both sides and it worked for the one batch I did before I fixed the sight glass.
To fix the sight glass I used a die to cut a thread on the bottom (mine broke right at the bottom) then removed the broken piece from the elbow and screwed the sight glass back in with some teflon tape. It looks exactly like before but is about 6mm shorter.

Yep, looks like the big green shed is on my list for tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back