Broken Belgian Beer Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
About 3 months ago i bought 3 beer glasses on evilbay from belgium

A weissbier glass, a big trappist challice and a "Satan" beer glass

The box turned up taday...... I could have rowed there in a boat and picked them up myself faster but postage was $30 instead of over $100 for airmail

I carried the box excitedly to the garage and placed it carefully on the bench. I cut the tape off and opened the top to find lots of news paper and bubble wrap. things were looking good.

I removed the paper 1 piece at a time..... belgian employment section. There was even a job going in a brewery by the looks of it.... couldnt read it though.

Found the Weissbier glass. very nice and in tact.

found the trappist chalice..... same thank god. That was the one i really wanted to survive.

Found the satan glass down the bottom, wrapped in newspaper like the others. I lifted it out carefully and the base of the glass fell out of the paper wrap and hit the floor with the most horrid sound i have heard in a long time.

I was heart broken :(

I found myself standing there, glass unseen still wrapped up, staring at the broken bits on the ground like my nuts just fell off and were lying there........ gone forever :angry:

It took me a bit but i bent down and picked up the glasses base and stem. I unwrapped the glass and it was beautiful which made the feeling of loss even worse. Christ....... youd think my best dog had just died..... thats how i felt. Ive been waiting 3 months for these bloody things,

Soooooo i decided to enjoy the 2 that made it. They are great.

The Trappist glass has a HUGE mouth. you hold it to your mouth the the other end ot the glass rim comes to the top of your forehead. It has lots of small incosistancies in the glass that tells me its old and hand drawn. Does anyone know the history of this glass or which brewery it may have been from?

The weissbier glass is fantastic too....... I get the feeling its old cause the rascal line is not printed on but etched into the glass. Is this normal practice of is the glass an oldie?

either way i ended up with 2 cool glasses but i still have a feeling of loss deep in my tummy for the satan glass. I was dreaming of a golden Tripple from it on the balcony this summer..... oh well will have to be a dubbel from the trapist glass!

anyone else had this happen?

cheers

Edit: oops... forgot the pics

whole_glasses.jpg

etched_rastal__824_x_549_.jpg

broken_glass.jpg

About 3 months ago i bought 3 beer glasses on evilbay from belgium

A weissbier glass, a big trappist challice and a "Satan" beer glass

The box turned up taday...... I could have rowed there in a boat and picked them up myself faster but postage was $30 instead of over $100 for airmail

I carried the box excitedly to the garage and placed it carefully on the bench. I cut the tape off and opened the top to find lots of news paper and bubble wrap. things were looking good.

I removed the paper 1 piece at a time..... belgian employment section. There was even a job going in a brewery by the looks of it.... couldnt read it though.

Found the Weissbier glass. very nice and in tact.

found the trappist chalice..... same thank god. That was the one i really wanted to survive.

Found the satan glass down the bottom, wrapped in newspaper like the others. I lifted it out carefully and the base of the glass fell out of the paper wrap and hit the floor with the most horrid sound i have heard in a long time.

I was heart broken :(

I found myself standing there, glass unseen still wrapped up, staring at the broken bits on the ground like my nuts just fell off and were lying there........ gone forever :angry:

It took me a bit but i bent down and picked up the glasses base and stem. I unwrapped the glass and it was beautiful which made the feeling of loss even worse. Christ....... youd think my best dog had just died..... thats how i felt. Ive been waiting 3 months for these bloody things,

Soooooo i decided to enjoy the 2 that made it. They are great.

The Trappist glass has a HUGE mouth. you hold it to your mouth the the other end ot the glass rim comes to the top of your forehead. It has lots of small incosistancies in the glass that tells me its old and hand drawn. Does anyone know the history of this glass or which brewery it may have been from?

The weissbier glass is fantastic too....... I get the feeling its old cause the rascal line is not printed on but etched into the glass. Is this normal practice of is the glass an oldie?

either way i ended up with 2 cool glasses but i still have a feeling of loss deep in my tummy for the satan glass. I was dreaming of a golden Tripple from it on the balcony this summer..... oh well will have to be a dubbel from the trapist glass!

anyone else had this happen?

cheers

Edit: oops... forgot the pics
There's nothing wrong with the satan glass Tony, it's only the stem that's broken. htfu

Tony,
two words; "glass blower"

as in get it repaired if you are that distressed, if not "toughen up precious"

My commiserations to you Tony. :(
Have a go at repairing with Super Glue. I have successfully repaired glass stems in the past.
As long as they are clean breaks with no chips missing the repair will be almost invisible, especially after a few refills. :p
You've got nothing to loose mate.

:beer:

YEah i thought of that and still may.

Its not a cleam break, the stem parts fell off and hit concrete so they are missing small bits that i swept up.

I wasnt after sympothy........... send me your fav glasses and i will fix em for you choppers :) I spose its cool to say that hey :)

I think i will chuck it and enjoy the others :)

anyone know how old these glasses might be?

cheers

The Trappist glass is a Westmalle glass..

A real oldie, be very proud with having that one All the news ones have it printed instead of etched.

wow... cool

Will take extra care with it.

bargain at the $4 i paid for it

like i siad..... it was the one i DIDN'T want broken

cheers

Tony,
that happened with some beers someone sent me.
same scenario it was like someone killed the dog "the pain the pain"

Tony I have the perfect beer for the Weissbier glass :D it was one of the 4 I brought back with me and will be cracking them this Friday.

IMG_1606.jpg

hhhmmmmm its only a 12 hr drive to brisy........ would be worth it to just sniff them :rolleyes:

make sure you post pics and tasting notes for us...... showoff :p

cheers

I feel your pain, Tony
I bought back a couple of Orval, scottish ale, and New Belgium glasses from my trip to the states, and wrapped em all in a big box, in bubble wrap, with those little foam beads in there too, as best I could. All of em made it home except for one of my scottish ale glasses, and I was crushed. They musta done some serious throwing to break it like they did. Maybe the post office is where airport luggage handlers go when they retire? Hope ya can get it fixed - mine was in a thousand pieces, so I couldnt take that route.
All the best
Trent

that's a kick in the arse Tony, the Satan glass looks a beauty, what's the history behind it ?

Cheers

Yard

If you can get home glasses galore from overseas and lose one you can't be too heartbroken?

I sent home two tea cheast packing cases of glasses and beer related souvineers, are there any other kind :D , and lost one. I think it was an erdinger which kind of sucks but I'll take it for the belgian, german and english ones that made it...

Then again I think it would take a serious effort to break the Oktoberfest stein, that thing weighs a ton, especially in the bottom of backpack...

Yep, a beerglass becomes really special when it's travelled halfway round the world.
What really sucks is when you manage to get a nice beer jug (The SLUG JUG, a 5 finger special from the Slug & Lettuce chain-pubs) back home from the UK with no worries, only to have the wife break it while doing the washing up.
It was a sad day indeed.

Yep, a beerglass becomes really special when it's travelled halfway round the world.
What really sucks is when you manage to get a nice beer jug (The SLUG JUG, a 5 finger special from the Slug & Lettuce chain-pubs) back home from the UK with no worries, only to have the wife break it while doing the washing up.
It was a sad day indeed.

i had my favourite Erdinger flung out of the freezer door by the wife :angry:

not happy jan

her name's not jan btw :p

i had my favourite Erdinger flung out of the freezer door by the wife :angry:

not happy jan
her name's not jan btw :p

A girlfriend I had once had a habit of accidentally breaking my good glassware. Came to a head once, when she managed to break one of my 1L Oktoberfest steins. :beerbang:

I had to break up with the clumsy B1%^h.
:lol:

Mrs PoMo hates glasses with brands printed on them. Strangely most of my favourite branded glasses have met with the kitchen floor while she was washing them. None of my unbranded glasses have met with the same fate. Co-incidence??? I have to convince myself it is...

Tony,

Maybe a big bowl of sand or a great big chunk of blu-tack to use as a base for your Satan glass?

As was said, the glass is OK, it's just the stem. Hate to see it tossed out when it's still capable of holding beer.

Seth :p

Having a closer look at the photo....

you could still repair it, leaving out the middle stem bit.

1/get some fine emery paper on a hard surface, and grind the bottom stub on the glass and stub on the base to a flat surface.
2/Apply your favorite adhesive.
3/wait a bit
4/drink beer out of your (now much shorter) stemware.

:beer:

Back