British Ales Competition (vic) 2010 - May 16

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendo

Tap-whore
Reaction score
Proudly supported by Beer & Brewer Magazine
5584656f882ab43053b760e793ce7ec0.gif

logo.gif
British Ales 2010
logo.gif

The Melbourne Brewers are once again running the British Ales competition at Oscars Alehouse, 7 Bayview Road Belgrave, Victoria (Melways Ref75 G10) on Sunday 16th May 2010 from 1:30pm. Entries close 12pm Saturday 8th May 2010 for nominated drop off points, but entries will be accepted on the day at the venue.

There are some new things to note about the competition this year. Firstly, we are expanding the competition from two categories to three. The categories for this year are:​

Category 1 : Mild, Northern English Brown, Irish Red and Scottish Ale (80/-)
Category 2: Ordinary bitter, Best bitter and Extra Special Bitter
Category 3: English Barleywine, Strong Scotch Ale and Old Ale (English Strong Ale)​

All first place getters in each Category will win a one-year subscription to Beer & Brewer, along with a trophy.

As we did with Beerfest, entry fees include a discounted rate for members of recognised Vicbrew clubs ($8/entry) - just another reason to get involved with your local club. Independent brewers are a $10/entry.

Entry Process

The new innovation for this year is that we will be trialling an online entry system in an attempt to streamline the process and make things easier for all involved. If this system is a success, we will look at rolling it out across future competitions. Please feel free to provide feedback on this system to [email protected] so we can make improvements for future competitions.

To enter this year's competition, please visit British Ales Competition and record your entries online - full entry instructions are on the site. Entries recorded with the site can then be dropped off at any of the following locations:

• The Brewers Den
  • Grain & Grape
  • Greensborough Homebrewing
  • Australian Homebrewing/Brewcraft (Oakleigh)
  • On the day at Oscar's Alehouse in Belgrave
Please note that there will be NO entry forms available at the entry points and ALL entries must be lodged via the competition site - homebrew shops will not be accepting entry payments. Entries through homebrew shops must be lodged by no later than 12pm on May 8, 2010. Entries to submitted after this should be presented at the competition on the day, ready for judging at 1:30pm.

All visitors welcome, come and sample the range of great microbrewed beers available on tap at Oscar's Alehouse. We look forward to seeing you on the day!!

Brendan Guild
The Melbourne Brewers - Competition Organiser

Cool. I'm gonna be brewing a scotish 80/- very soon. Have the ingredients, just need a free day to brew. I might see how it turns out and enter it.

then again.... just read the closing date/event date... won't be ready in time. Next time.

Is there any limits on style entries and category entries?

e.g. no more than 1 entry per style and two entries per category? Or is it a free for all?

No limits - enter as many times as you have stocks for :)

Andy

woohoo a comp comes along when i actually have the right style in stock.

Ive got 2 to enter into this comp. 1 is ready now and the other one will be ready come comp time.

its ashame i cant judge at the comp though i have my sisters 21st the night before and come sunday I wont want to look, smell or taste alcohol let alone judge it

A quick note about registration on the site...

Once you provide your details you will be sent an email with a link to confirm your registration, so check your e-mail once you finish...

Andy

Double bugger, no IPA, and I've got nothing in the works from those categories. Might see if I can whip up something tomorrow

Double bugger, no IPA, and I've got nothing in the works from those categories. Might see if I can whip up something tomorrow
hmmmm ive just had a thought about those categories. ive got 3 beers i can enter now and I expect Maple, Fourstar and Brendo to be entering in that category as well. ;)

edit: whoops forgot to add brendo on that list

IPA is a style covered by the Worthog's Pale Ale Mania comp - we try to avoid crossover between the comps, hence why there is also no stouts/porters, etc.

Save your IPA for Pale Ale Mania - good to try your hand at lots of different comps!!

Cheers,

Brendo

Will safe a couple of bottles of IPA for that then. Just had a brain fart anyway, even if I do get a brew done for this comp there's no way it'll be carbed. Oh well, next time.

hmmmm ive just had a thought about those categories. ive got 3 beers i can enter now and I expect Maple, Fourstar and Brendo to be entering in that category as well. ;)

edit: whoops forgot to add brendo on that list
wat chu talkin bout willis? Would have had something if I didn't add some flavour to it by dryhopping with columbus... Had to get that English blandness covered up somehow.

wat chu talkin bout willis? Would have had something if I didn't add some flavour to it by dryhopping with columbus... Had to get that English blandness covered up somehow.
bahahha. yeah i was talking about the partigyle. well christopher columbus came from england that makes columbus hops kind of english doesnt it!

Ohh partigyle hey! didnt think about that one! maybe i will enter that aslong as the astringency is gone. Have you tasted yours yet CM2? Mine is still in primary. Next week is the week of kegging for me.

Your chance to finally win huh??

if only it was a lottery, quantity doesn't mean quality unfortunatly.:(

Ohh partigyle hey! didnt think about that one! maybe i will enter that aslong as the astringency is gone. Have you tasted yours yet CM2? Mine is still in primary.
yup tasted and happy with it. its still in primary but is finished fermenting and will be kegged this weekend.

bahahha. yeah i was talking about the partigyle. well christopher columbus came from england that makes columbus hops kind of english doesnt it!

I think you will find Christopher Columbus was Italian and
was financed by Spain in his exploration of the New World.

Regards

Graeme

I think you will find Christopher Columbus was Italian and
was financed by Spain in his exploration of the New World.

Regards

Graeme
hmm that's right. who the hell was i thinking of?!

edit: best I stick with making beer rather than talking about history which i seem to have failed at today

Back