Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
On an impending move to the big smoke, I'm tryin to figure out where to live!

Ideally, atm, shared apartment around the valley, Bowen hills, just south of that area or just north. Well, basically in practical 10-15 minutes drive from the airport. That's just me looking at the map though.

Any suggestions on a good liveable 'burb to live in? I don't want to travel too much every day.
Any suggestions of some website to find share flats?

Lots of people seem to like Tenneriffe.............plenty of great bars and restaurants around that area to. Looking at your age on your profile you won't be lonely for mates the same age.

Clayfield/Woolowin area. Try southeast, Bulimba/Morningside is nice.

Thanks guys, started looking between Kangaroo Point and Hamilton. Well, for the tip on Teneriffe, punched that in and hmnn.. perfect. Hooray Gumtree!

Saw something in Woolowin too.. Hmnn... think I'll have to trip down sometime and figure this out.

where do you work and will you use public transport to get there ?
a ferry on the river is a very nice way to go to work if it suits your locations :)

but if your FIFO (airport) then maybe the Teneriffe area would work well

I'll be working at the hangars at the airport. Drive there I suppose.

Catch a boat to work! hmnn.. not happening this place I think... Off to check google maps

nah no boats for you then...

i would be looking on that northern side of the river to save on traffic drama rather than kangy point etc

I've temporarily moved in with a mate in New Farm and I love it. I work FIFO week on/week off and catch the airtrain from the Valley station but it'd be too expensive for you to do everyday. I don't have a car but with my roster and where I live I really don't need one.

I have to move out in January and will be looking for a place in the same area. PM me if that suits you and we can chat.

Bowie

Hom is where the heart is.

All depends what you want to do. If you like to stumble around at night into various pubs or clubs or just want to get a choice of foods even late without having to drive then the valley would be the go.
If you're after suburban living then wooloowin etc is fine, just don't expect to do much on foot.

Depending on how you value your time and money there is now also the airport link which brings you to the airport from valley, windsor etc in about ten minutes. It's a bit longer without the tunnel and even more in rush hour.

And don't forget to come along to one of the case swaps, BABBs meetings or other pissups once you're settled.

Northside if you're working at Eagle Farm then. Traffic from the southside is part of what drove me down here.

Looking at that stretch between Tenerife, newstead, Hamilton. I'll be in Pinkeba so yea, just need to cross that one big road and I'm there. Well, I guess! I was there for a big 3 hours or so, only saw the ride between airport and hangar.

When I got up here in Cairns I was a bit sick of living with people, so I made myself scarce and lived by myself. I bloody hate it at times. Don't want anything to do with out there suburbia for a while, the travelling will drive me nuts. Takes me 5 minutes to get to work from where I am ATM :) back in Melb, I ditched the car/pt and rode my pushie or motorbike to work or uni everyday. Brisbane looked pretty good for that. Will see... Thing is, the company also has an office in Bowen Hills so I can see needing to go down there every now and then, Tenerife area looked ideal. Anyway I've moved a house on the Internet with all this searching! Better wait till I actually know my dates.

PS: Bowie, thnx mate. I'll pm when I know a lil better.

PPS: Cocko en Bum - no comment

PPPS: TareeG, I'm so sad u leevin!

Flo raises a good point about things on foot.

Due to the Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act of 1885 which prevented the building of terraced houses in Brisbane and set a minimum block frontage ( to avoid bubonic plague and cholera which was present in Sydney and Melbourne at the time) Brisbane developed as the most low density city in Australia, with mostly detached houses, something which has come back to haunt the city due to its spread out nature- one reason why Bris was the last city to introduce sewerage and why public transport is woeful compared to Syd or Melb. Doesn't help that it's built on hills.

So unless you are really central, say the Valley or West End then you are going to be in suburban streets with not much accessible unless you are prepared to drive. One little gem just to the North of the CBD is Nundah which is becoming the Northside version of West End - railway station, supermarkets, restaurants and a pretty little main street with trees and bollards - you know the deal. And handy to the Airport.

Flo may have an opinion as he lives just a bit up the hill from there and would know it better than I do.

Yeah, no...

I love where I'm living, but if I was single and without kids, I wouldn't be living here.

Yes, Nundah is trying very hard to become a little north side central with those new apartments, shops and restaurants popping up and you even see Wayne Swan out and about every second time you go to Woolies, trying to keep up the image of a 'hardworking local', but it's very far from being like the valley and will in fact never become like that.

Hey Florian, OT but what is that massive erection that's going up in the main street there? I can only see the back end from the train but it sort of dwarfs everything that was ever built there :eek:
I see real estate signs but the back end definitely isn't apartments, looks more like offices.

Latest posts

Back