Brisbane Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hi ya all

I am in brisbane and was wondering what all grainers think of the water up here. It is highly chlorinated and i think i will boil my water the day before my first AG mash. What do other brisbane brewer think about/do about brissy water? :unsure:

lou

Hi Lou.

Perhaps I should not have answered this, since I am not qualified to do so. However, since you posted this an hour ago and no reply, I thought I give you what little experiance I had regarding this subject. Like you I was wondering about the Brisbane quality before I went AG and infact have two different quality reports that do not seem to be close to each other. I have only done two AG Brews to date and I have decided due to lack of any other info that the water is quite nice to drink, therefore it will make beer. It might not be the style or result that you wanted but you will make beer. From the final outcome my palate will be the judge and I will adjust some aspects of the brew to bring it to what I intend to brew..
Good Luck.

Keep on Brewin'

Peter Shane said:
Hi Lou.

Perhaps I should not have answered this, since I am not qualified to do so. However, since you posted this an hour ago and no reply, I thought I give you what little experiance I had regarding this subject. Like you I was wondering about the Brisbane quality before I went AG and infact have two different quality reports that do not seem to be close to each other. I have only done two AG Brews to date and I have decided due to lack of any other info that the water is quite nice to drink, therefore it will make beer. It might not be the style or result that you wanted but you will make beer. From the final outcome my palate will be the judge and I will adjust some aspects of the brew to bring it to what I intend to brew..
Good Luck.

Keep on Brewin'
[post="50838"][/post]​

I'd swear that there was an informative answer here previously... maybe Dane's playing with the DB..

Anyway, Brisbane water is full of bicarbonates, it's really good for making dark beers, apparently not so good for making light beers like pilsners.
As for the chlorine, i've never had a problem with it, but if you want, just boil up the water the day before, or go AG :)
You may also read on some american forums about using sodium met to neutralise the chlorine - ignore this advice. There is 2 different types of chlorination used around the world for water, the method they use in Oz is not neutralised with sodium met.

Speaking from experience here, the water varies from area to area. I was a little lucky in the fact that my water in Capalaba my home town was drawn from the Leslie Harisson dam at Chandler. At a PH of 7.6 it was ok, the downside was that we had galvanised water pipes, Im sure it added to the problems seeings how we had rust come trough quite often.

My father was quite particular about his brewing water, and would go to the dam and pump his own. He found that the water was very high in bicarbonates, as you might or might not be aware the Redland Shire is a Volcanicly fertile region hence the Red soil.

So I guess you will have to play it by ear, and filter your water incase you had it as bad as us (rusty Pipes). In short if it is drinkable you can brew with it.

DS

die sudhausanlage said:
In short if it is drinkable you can brew with it.

DS
[post="50881"][/post]​

Well, yes but.....

A-G brewers need to know their water chemistry.
The correct cation and anion levels make a big difference
to the quality and stability of the resultant beer.

Well, yes but.....

A-G brewers need to know their water chemistry.
The correct cation and anion levels make a big difference
to the quality and stability of the resultant beer.

Hi Bradmcm can you elloborate further as I am from brisbane also.

Do you have and info for us in Brisbane.

Thanks

Maurie.

jgriffin said:
I'd swear that there was an informative answer here previously

Yes I saw that post referring to different pipes in new and old suburbs, cannot remember who posted it though.

Did find this posted by Ross on the Grumpy's site:

Brisbane Australia

Calcium: 21.0 ppm
Sulfate: 20.0 ppm
Magnesium: 12.0 ppm
Chloride: 2.0 ppm
Sodium: 34.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 115.0 ppm
PH: 7.0

Couldn't find any info on the Brisbane water supply on the net. Ross's info came up on Google. I'm interested in my local supply as well, appears that the councils supply or control the water in Qld.

Its a good point DS makes, about the galvanised pipes, I live in wynnum and the water here tastes like metal. But the redlands water is so nice, I guess I will have to move there to brew, what an extra 15 mins to travel to work when you know there good beer at home.

Cheers

Maurie

Latest posts

Back