Brisbane Mash Tun Bulk Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have found a couple of really great options for Mash Tuns in Brisbane - photos attached. One is a 36L and the other is 57L. They both are insulated drinks coolers made by kookaburra gas, marketed as "KeepCold Water Coolers"

Two models:
CO2236 - KeepCold 36L Coolers Jug
Push Button Tap
Lid Lock Down Handle
36.0L, 38.0cm Dia. x 52.0cm H
http://www.kookaburragas.com.au/images/products/co2236.jpg

and

CO2257 - KeepCold 57L Coolers Jug
Push Button Tap
Robust Side Handles
57.0L, 45.5cm Dia. x 62.5cm H http://www.kookaburragas.com.au/images/products/co2257.jpg

I have found only one place that will sell them to me directly - but pricing is OK.

If I buy 1 its $139 for the 57L; $89 for 36L

If we get together and buy 4-10, we get them at $120 for the 57L and $79 for the 36L. Pick up would be from my place in Taringa.

So who is up for one in Brisbane? Post a message here or PM me. I want to get one in the next couple of weeks. So let me know ASAP!!

Matt

Put me down as a tentative yes. Probably for the smaller one.

Are you looking to get 10 of one size, or will mixed be ok?

Torsion said:
Are you looking to get 10 of one size, or will mixed be ok?
[post="58413"][/post]​

Mixed batch is fine, and its only 5 we need to buy :D

I'll put you down for one - all expressions of interest will be confirmed before actual order is made!

Matt

I should also add, thats the prices they gave me over the phone - once I have actual numbers for the order, I will do my best haggle and people will only be charged the actual price I end up getting!

Matt

Righto - So far I have three interested peoples (including myself) - anyone else up for one?

Matt

Ok,

I'm going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons while I open up a can of worms, and say that as good a price as that is for those tuns, I'm not going to get one because they're the cylindrical ones. I think that, in addition to the rye malt, the shape of the tun contributed to Jgriffin's stuck sparge on the weekend. With a large amount of grain pressing down on a (relatively) small surface area, you're going to get a fair amount of grain bed compression. Add rye or raw wheat (read "glue") to the equation, and you're likely to have problems. I think that, especially for those that batch sparge, a rectangular esky is the best way to go, so as to distribute the weight of the grain bed over a wider surface area.

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
I'm going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons while I open up a can of worms,
[post="58541"][/post]​

That's a big cat snow. :)

Having used one for the last 5 years. I've virtually used every type of grain going around in them, flaked barley, oats, wheat (flaked and malted) and all the usual suspects and haven't had a stuck sparge yet (touch wood).

Slow sparge yes, but not stuck. They're a pretty popular cooler for these purposes and there's virtually hundreds (if not more) of brewers using them in the U.S.

If ever in doubt just slow down the runoff. Lots of other variables that could have contributed to the stuck mash too.

Warren -

True. Maybe it's just my ill-informed prejudice and paranoia showing through! :)

Snow said:
True. Maybe it's just my ill-informed prejudice and paranoia showing through! :)
[post="58545"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: We all got 'em Snow.

$120 for the 57 Litre jobbie is a bargain IMO. My 38 litre Igloo Cost about $130, 5 years ago!

Viva la choice. :)

Warren -

You have a point Snow, but I also think that sparging effectively over a 600 x 400mm area (ie a rectangular cooler) is much more difficult than over a 360mm diameter circle... meaning your efficiency can suffer. This may not be a problem, but remember that it is the same at the bottom of the mash tun where the manifold is concerned. If your bottom end is working well, cylinder shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: This may be a problem even if you batch sparge, depending on whether you mix or not.

I'm interested in a 36L one, so put me down.

Fair enough - but for me the advantages of the round (able to stir etc) outway the down sides.

Since we're using nice little quotes: Horses for courses and if the cap fits wear it :D

So now I have four people.... any more?

Matt

Righto - I have the orders:

Dunkel_Boy - 36L x 1
Schoey - 36L x 1
Torsion - 36L x 1
Me (mobrien) - 57L x 1

I'll place the order on Monday or Tuesday. Can you guys confirm your orders and anyone else add theirs ASAP!

Matt

Hi guys,

I'm going to place the order today. I have confirmed orders from:

Schoey - 36L x 1
Torsion - 36L x 1

Dunkel_Boy - are you still in?

Its not too late to join the party - I'll place the order at 4:00pm this afternoon (Tuesday Brisbane Time). Pick up will be from my place in Taringa. Cash on pickup, or transfer of funds before :D

Matt

mobrien said:
Righto - I have the orders:

Dunkel_Boy - 36L x 1
Schoey - 36L x 1
Torsion - 36L x 1
Me (mobrien) - 57L x 1

I'll place the order on Monday or Tuesday. Can you guys confirm your orders and anyone else add theirs ASAP!

Matt
[post="58835"][/post]​

OK guys. I placed the order, and had hoped I would get them this weekend, but I just spoke to the outlet and they expect them Monday. So I'll hopefully get them next week - stay tuned!

Matt

For any that missed the bulk buy - Amart allsports do a 57L for $120...

Mash tun guys - they are (finally) here! I'll pick them up tomorrow morning (Sat) and then we can organise pickup after that.

Awesome!!!!

Matt

Back