Brisbane International Big Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Well the passport is stamped, SWMBO is out of town, and i will be holding a Brisbane Brew day on the 7th May.

We'll be putting down the Rye IPA, i'll be trying to stay sober, and hopefully fun will be help by all.

I'm out in the West side of brisbane in Kenmore, if you want to come and join us, please contact me via PM or on 0410 489 586. Please let me know if you intend on coming so arrangements can be made at least 7 days in advance.

Details are still being worked out, but BYO HB for tasting (duh!) , and a chair to sit on as i'm rather short of them.

As long as I'm in Brisbane I'm there
:chug:

Hoops

S#$T I better get some beer brewing :eek:

OK brewers, i think i'm going to use Ray's recipe here
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4317
No i spoke to Tony, and they only had the Ale and Carapills from the list below

6.3 kg. Australian Traditional Ale
1.5 kg. Rye Malt
0.10 kg. German CaraMunich II
0.3 kg. Carapils
0.25 kg. German Wheat Malt Dark

Anyone know where i can get the rest in Brisbane?

I've seen dark wheat at Annerley, might have caramunich too.
Unfortunately, you might have to get it shipped from one of the grain suppliers.

I will ask some of the guys at the HB club next thursday night, might have some ideas

Was the two different AA levels of the halletau (3% and 5%) a mistake?
I was very happy with the halletau mittlefruh, I assume that's the stuff you use, that I got from ESB, but you've probably got the hops sorted.

Quality Homebrew supplies at Underwood has Rye malt - just used some in my last porter...

+++

P.S. If I'm not travelling, I'll be there - will give you plenty of notice either way...

Thanks Ross!

Oh and everyon who PM'd me, i'll get back to you all in a day or so when i get organised.

Was the two different AA levels of the halletau (3% and 5%) a mistake?
I was very happy with the halletau mittlefruh, I assume that's the stuff you use, that I got from ESB, but you've probably got the hops sorted

It was what I had at the time in my hop stock
Cheers
Ray

Unfortunately I am out of town that weekend...

Have a good day guys!

dreamboat

John,

are you sure Tony doesn't have caramunich? I've bought it off him plenty of times in the last 6 months. He definitely has crystal wheat, which is quite dark (I bought some last week), so it would sub for dark crystal wheat no problems I would suspect.

- Snow

I sent the following message to everyone who had PM'd me, however i think a few were missing, so if you haven't got one, please PM me for details.

Righto - the brew day is still going, but I had to leave - sorry guys!

Was a heap of fun - great to see an all mash happen - its not nearly as hard as it seems on paper. As soon as my kegs get here I'm going for it!

Some photos of it all happening....

1 - the pep talk before it all started - thats our host :D
2 - it was forcast a sppon might be broke - and sure enough it was!
3 - and this is why it broke! 9kg of grain makes a thick brew

brewday1.jpg

brewday2.jpg

brewday3.jpg

Some more photos...

4 - Of course you wouldn't stir it while you are sparging...
5 - On to boil
6 - Rolling boil

My batteries ran out and I had to leave at that point... I'll let someone else finish the report!

It was great to meet eveyone!

Matt

brewday4.jpg

brewday5.jpg

brewday6.jpg

Too busy to come, I'm really disappointed so many things had to be done on this special day. Hope you guys had a ball. I was even in Kenmore! But alas, other things begged my attention. :(

Back