Brisbane Grain Buyers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Guys,

My local HBS on Kingston Rd & Underwood has told me to give them a list of all grains I would like them to stock, that are distrbuted by Maltcraft & they will place an order.
Thought I would extend the offer, nowing how difficult it can be to get reasonably priced grains up here - So if there's anything you guys would like me to include - please let me know....
Thomas Fawcett, Joe White & Hoepfner seem to be the brands available...

Ross
I am not there as yet but will be needing grains , I buy in 25kg bags , I suppose you mean this?

Batz

Batz said:
Ross
I am not there as yet but will be needing grains , I buy in 25kg bags , I suppose you mean this?

Batz
[post="53967"][/post]​

I actually meant more the speciallty grains & odd items - They already stock a large selection of the main grains....
You would have to see how their bag rates compared to your usual sources...

Ross,
That's good news, what size bags are we looking at, e.g 25kg or 12.5? I'm right for the next month but then the hunt will be on, and I will have wheels soon (hopefully a 73 Series III SWB Land Rover with galvanised chassis, if allowed, perfect for picking up brewing supplies :) ). I'm guessing he would like a bit of notice for a stock up order though.

Cheers,

Jason

Sorry,

I wasn't look for firm orders or anything - just some suggestions on malts you would find it useful for them to stock... :D

I think very useful grains are
Thomas Fawcett Brown, Pale choc, dark crystal (perhaps a few others) and
Hoepfner vienna, caramalt, and cara-aroma.

Ross said:
Batz said:
Ross

Batz
[post="53967"][/post]​

You would have to see how their bag rates compared to your usual sources...
[post="53968"][/post]​

Not too interested in freighting from the Pilbara :blink: :blink:

Batz

carafa special I and II and the english brown definately

Sorry,

I wasn't look for firm orders or anything - just some suggestions on malts you would find it useful for them to stock... biggrin.gif

Sorry Ross, I was meaning to find out if they are willing to sell 25 (Base) or 12.5 (speciality) kg bags at reasonable prices, 1-3kg bags wouldn't be much use. Being a learner (eg. still have to try some many different types of grain), I'll second Lou and Dunkel's choices for speciality grains.

Cheers,

Jason

Do they have a website with 25kg bag rate?

Batz

Gday Ross,

Only Brisbane or could we be looking at Mackay also. Our LHS stocks a VERY limited amount of grains (specialty)
Thanks.

They haven't got a website at the moment, but they are certainly looking at it - I'm trying desperately to get them into the 21st century - lol.
They wholesale to other HBS around the State, so I'm sure they'll be happy to do mail order where requested...
Give them a call & ask for Lindsay. Sorry, I haven't got the number handy, but they're in the yellow pages - Quality Homebrew Supplies, Kingston Rd, Underwood.

cheers...

Thanks Ross

No need for mail order I will be quite happy to come too Brizzy now and then for supplies.

It will give me an excuse to drop in on fellow brewers for a beer :beer:

Batz

Sounds like a good enough exceuse to me Batz :chug:

Batz,

looking forward to catching up with one of WA's legends.... :chug:

Batz, if you come from the north to Brisbane you're more than welcome to drop in.

Carafa 1 is one that I left out...
Caramalt is German for carapils, for anyone wondering.
I have to examine where I'm taking my brewing at the moment, but I would happily order a 12.5kg of cara-aroma... that stuff is da bomme!!
:D

Dunkel_Boy said:
Caramalt is German for carapils, for anyone wondering.
[post="54031"][/post]​

I'm not sure on the translation part of it, but Caramalt and Carapils are two completely different malts.
AFAIK Carapils is a very lightly roasted pilsner malt and is also commonly referred to as Cara-foam or dextrin malt.
Caramalt is a more highly malted crystal malt.

Maybe Wes can provide a better explaination ?

Beers,
Doc

Argh, caramel malt... I really have no chance with so many freaking names out there.
I hope that one rings true... but I still think it's caramalt.
Hoepfner caramel malt is 3-5EBC and has hte properties of carapils/dextrine malt.
That's the one that would be useful, but caramel hell (carahell) would also be damn useful.

Ross,

I would certainly buy Carafa I and II, as well as Brown malt.

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back