Brisbane Brewers Inaugural Get-together

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
I have gained permission from SWMBO and am offering up my place (in Kenmore)for a BBQ lunch/partial mash demo/brew tasting/yeast swapping session on Sunday 4th July.

Jgriffin and Bunz from this forum are in, as is Mal from Western Suburbs Homebrewing. There's also a local all-grainer coming to answer our tough questions, and a few other brewers keen to talk shop. Should be a great afternoon. We are planning to do a sizeable batch of american pale ale, then split it into three fermenters and add three different varieties of American yeast for a comparative experiment. The plan then is to meet up again a couple of months later to taste the results. But really, it's just an excuse to drink eachother's homebrew! :chug:

Anyone keen, PM me and I'll give you the details. Come one, come all!

Cheers - Snow.

Sounds like this will be great day for the Qld'ers to get together and share there experiences and to brew a beer and sample each others beer...

anyway have a great day guys i am sure you guys will have fun like us croweaters do when we have our brew days

cheers and beers
ozdevil

This great to see Snow
Really is good to meet others on an informal day and talk/drink HB
You should have a good thing going by the time I move over next year , AG demo at Batz place is on the cards

I look forward to meeting up with you next year, Batz. The Brissie HB club scene is a bit too formal for my liking, so it would be good to get an informal "club" together that can meet semi-regularly for tastings, demos, war stories etc. With alternating hosting locations and the occasional special guest appearance, it could be a lot of fun I reckon.

Cheers - Snow

Yep I be in it

Jayse and Dicko are going to fly over for one as well , maybe able to get a Aussie wide meet up

Great to see gatherings happening around the country. Look how far this forum has come in less than two years. Maybe the national event will actually come to pass.

(Looking fwd to Perth's Saturday gig...)

Snow

Sounds great. I may be in Brisbane for that weekend, if so I would love to come along.

Hoops

Snow, sounds like fun. I can bring an AG sample along, but it'll only have been a week in the bottle, scary.

Murray

Me too, I can bring an AG brew along but it will only have been in the keg for 1 week.
Stocks are low....too low :angry:

Hoops

Hoops and Murray,

I reckon bring whatever beer you can - the more the merrier :D and I'll drink it nomatter what age it is! Including you guys, we now have 6 forum members coming, plus a bunch of other local brewers, so it should be a great afternoon!

I'll PM you with the details.

Cheers - Snow

Guys

Is anyone intersted in splitting a 20L of Phos Acid or Idophor? If so we could get a drum and split it at the BBQ-get together.

I'm real keen as I cannot get phos acid from my LHBS and Idophor would cost me less than 1/4 of what it does at my LHBS!

Phos acid is about $7.10/Litre
Idophor is about $5.00/Litre

Hoops

Brisbane AHB'ers

I will bring along some Phosphoric acid and Idophor Sunday.
I will be buying a 20L drum of Idophor and 20L of Phosphoric acid as I am getting 5L of each, a mate from work is getting 5L of each, JGriffin is getting 5L of Phos acid so there will be 5L of phos acid left and 10L of Idophor left if anyone is interested.
If anyone wants some (any amount) bring a container along Sunday to fill up.
It will all be at cost price, I am only getting it to save money, not make money.

See you all Sunday

Hoops

I'll try and sort something out, maybe next time I'm in Brisbane.

Hoops

That'd be great thanks, Hoops. I'll definitely get some. See you Sunday.

- Snow

Snow

do you need any containers?
I am buying some tommorow - 5L $2.50, 1L $1.20

Hoops

Nah - I've got a 2L coke bottle. That'll do me.

- Snow.

Too much on for me to attend this weekend, maybe I will make the next gathering.

It surprises me that you find the existing homebrew club structure too formal, but then, I have only even gone to the one club (PUBS) which is not too formal at all. Yes we follow a meeting system and keep minutes, but that is really only used to keep things flowing in a nice order. If you are in Brisbane, PUBS meets on the last Tuesday of each month, usually in Strathpine/Kallangur area.

Dreamboat,

it would be great to have you along to the next get-together. I'll canvass the guys on the weekend to see how regular we should make it and report back on the AHB site next week.

My only foray into the homebrew club scene was only one meeting with BABS in Holland Park, so i guess I'm unqualified to give an assessment. However, I did find it a tad formal and not really what I expected. However the main reason for not joining or going to more meetings is distance and to a lesser extent, time, as they meet when I'm playing football. Having said all this, I reckon everyone should get along to at least one meeting and check it out for themselves. They're certainly a great source of information and instruction for the new brewer.

Cheers - Snow

As I am currently the Brewmaster of the PUBS club, I am happy to offer a standing invitation to any brewers following the AHB list in the Brisbane area to come along to our meetings. As I have said, generally held on the Northside, Kallangur/Strathpine area.

Send me a note if you are keen, and I will send you the date and address for the next planned meeting.

Rob

Back