Briko Urn Tap Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungy

Reaction score
Hi, i have a briko 30L urn that is very new, with the intent to use it as a HLT. The problem is that the tap assembly is on the way out, as the internal rubber seals have degraded, for a replacement i have been quoted $120 by Zip (who are the distributors for birko spares) plus postage.

Is it possible to replace the tap with a compression fitting using a ball valve or a tap style fitting available at plumbing supply place, rather than purchasing a replacement fitting? Is it worth the trouble or should i just cough up for Zip?

cheers

Will

Hi Kungy 1,
Maybe you should try Birko direct. I know they sell "seconds" for a few dollars less to the public. They should have what you are looking for at a reasonable price.
http://www.birko.com.au/
cheers

Hi Kungy1
I have a Langco urn I picked up a few weeks back for $15 and the tap is knackered as well. As its hard to get langco parts I have just used a piece of the threaded brass tube that everyone uses for their mash tun bulkhead fittings with a ball valve. JG Thomas here in Perth sell urn parts and the Birko tap would fit my urn but the cost was pretty high as well!

If you need it to look pretty for other purposes then maybe go for the proper tap but otherwise the ball valve will do the job just as well and if you fly sparge its easier to set the flow rate.

Cheers

Ausdb

I have an urn that i replaced the tap with a ball valve.

If u measue the thread u need i can see if i can source one. Mine was 3/4 inch BSP from memory.

Alternatively, my old urn tap was in good nick - i could just send it to you...

Pm me if u want me to send a pic....

kungy1, can you post a photo of the tap. I have an urn tap at home that someone gave me. Not sure what sort of urn it's from.
If you cannot post a pic then I will post pic of said tap tonight.
Where are you btw?

C&B
TDA

I think that I also have an urn tap or two which have been taken out of service...
Certainly looks like someone here will have the right one for you... and the reason that they are all spares is that they are a PITA compared to a ball valve.

dreamboat

Thanks for your help guys, i will see if i can lay my hands on a digi cam from somewhere. I'm in sydney

Cheers

Will

PS if the taps you guys have are a match, i would love to do business!

Heres a picture of the urn and with the tap missing

Will

Failing that i can't get a tap assembly to fit, and i choose to install a ball valve, is it possible to install the ball valve as per normal, but instead of the water coming out through the horizontal nozzle ie sidewards, is it possible to use an attachment so that the water comes out vertically ie downwards like a normal tap?

IMG_0548_1.JPG

And the tap assembly itself. Not much to the tap bit. Bit steep for $100 bucks to replace. The size seems to be 3/4 inch i think i would need to confirm this again as i am away from the URN at current.

If anyone has spares for the tap assembly that i could buy off i would much appreciate it

Cheers

Will

IMG_0553_4.JPG

kungy1 said:
Heres a picture of the urn and with the tap missing
Kungy are you sure thats a Birko, I have a Langco urn with exactly the same fitting on it. Unscrew the complete thing out of the urn and just put through a piece of the 3/4" threaded brass stuff for a compression fitting.

You will lose the sight glass this way but I bought a sightglass elbow and a smaller diameter sightglass tube from a local element supplier in Perth you should be able to get the same in Sydney

Or if you have access to an oxy set or MAPP gas torch silver solder a BSP threaded connection onto what you have got and screw you ball valve to that.

I will try and post a pic of how mine is set up

PS why are you so worried about the direction the water comes out??

Ausdb

Actually looking back your right, its not a Birko urn but a Langco urn. I got confused as Birko was the distributer i think for Langco.

Good Pick!! The fact is that i'm embarressed to say is that the urn which i use as a HLT doubles as a Urn for tea and coffee stuff. It is difficult to use it as an Urn when it pours out horizontally. It has a tendency to go in the cup and bounce up on whoevers hand is pouring the water, Ouch! A vertical attachment would stop this from happening

Cheers

Will

easy as - buy a ball valve and a 3/4 male nipple for the urn end and a 90 degree elbow for the other - oppositte end.

i have one of those urn taps taht should fit.

Ken...

Back