Bribie G In Newcastle Tuesday 2 August

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm undertaking a progress to visit the regions to the south of Queensland in the first week in August, just by myself this time for the purposes of drinking and photographing Victorian and Edwardian terrace houses and streetscapes. So obvious first stop is Newcastle where I'm arriving on the XPT on the Monday and bedding down at the CBD hotel right in Hunter St, no 471 for a couple of nights. Next morning off bright and early to East Newcastle to bag me some terraces then later hope to drop in to MHBs, etc. Wednesday morning off to Sydney to stay at the Y in the heart of terrace heaven, not to mention beer country.

Any worthwhile drinking spots in the Centre of Newcastle, and anyone up for a late afternoon pint? Sadly won't have time to get out to Maitland this trip. <_<

edit: oops make that Port Stephens, but I'll catch up with their brews at Manly

Any worthwhile drinking spots in the Centre of Newcastle, and anyone up for a late afternoon pint? Sadly won't have time to get out to Maitland this trip. <_<

Closest for a few quality beers would be The Clarendon a few blocks east of where you are staying. It's kinda diagonally opposite Civic train station.

I think they had a Lord Nelson brew on tap when I was there a couple of weeks ago plus the usual LCPA, Golden Ale etc...

Other than that, there's the Honeysuckle area on the harbour (head over the train line at Civic Station). Dockyard has a fairly decent selection at times.

cliffo

Raised the question of where to go with the guys on Sunday at the club Off Flavour training day, consensus seems to be for the Mary Ellen, good range of beers and the food is great.
Looks like a few locals will be available to see you get a favourable impression on Newcastle.
MHB

Hairy Melon it is :)

Then on Wednesday Shooey is picking me up and running me out to Murrays for a look around Maitland and a hangover cure, lunch and shovel me onto the train to Sydney - should arrive at Central in time for beer o'clock :icon_drunk:
Do the Newcastle line trains have dunnies on board?
I'm getting excited about Newcastle - some really brilliant architecture. Hopped onto Streetview and the following are still completely intact, and they are just for starters - woot.

church_street.jpg

alfred_street.jpg

:icon_cheers:

Back