Brewzilla, Witbier, 50% wheat, how much Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi What percentage of rice hulls should I add to prevent a stuck sparge when using 50% wheat in a brewzilla?
20l batch, 35l brewzilla, 2.2kg wheat, 2.2kg Pilsner.
Would 450grams Just under 10% work?

Hi Andrew, please weigh out 450 grams of rice hulls and you will be surprised what the actual volume is. You may not be able to fit that much in with your malt. I was thinking try 50 grams first and stir that in and see how it looks.

I brewed a Piwo Grosziskie last week, 3kg of smoked wheat (100% of grains) with 300 g of rice hulls. Milled at .85mm gap width. No problem with the lauter

Really open ended question, I think the answer comes down to the quality of your crush.
Have done 100% wheat in a Braumeister (an exercise in patience), had to crack very carefully to avoid flour, about 4 times through the mill starting at just touching the malt and getting progressively finer each pass until you get a nearly dust free kibble.

50/50 Wheat and Pilsner shouldn't be a problem but I would crack the malts separately, aim for opened up but not shredded husks from the pilsner and kibble from the wheat.

I brewed a Piwo Grosziskie last week, 3kg of smoked wheat (100% of grains) with 300 g of rice hulls. Milled at .85mm gap width. No problem with the lauter
Half-baked
I keep sticking my face in the smoked wheat bucket, I love the smell but haven't had a go at it yet.
Would love to hear how the brew turns out, which yeast did you go with? I've been thinking about trying with W1007 German Ale, but would be interested in other options.
Looks like a brew that is really well suited to BIAB, mash in heavy (2-2.5:1) for a protein rest, hot water additions to saccharification temperature, then to mash out, for a 3% beer there is plenty of room for water additions.
Why not start a thread on the style, its certainly interesting enough.
Mark

Hi @MHB, just saw your comment.

The Piwo is in a cube at the moment, waiting in line after I had some time to generate a backlog over the holidays.

I’ll be fermenting with SafAle K97 at around 15oC. I go for liquid yeast only when I have a few appropriate styles lined up, and this is the only German style on the radar at the moment. (Don’t know of anywhere that sells Wyeast in Sydney either.)

Agree, the malt smells amazing, like smoked bacon. Really looking forward to seeing how it comes out... although don’t have a benchmark, having never tried the style before!

I should also say thanks, Mark, took your advice from a previous thread on crushing the wheat progressively finer.

Back