Brewzilla vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I’m looking ahead to getting an all in one system and move to AG. It will probably be one of these two models. I have 15 amp.

I need guidance as to what size unit to get as that will go a long way to helping me decide which brand to buy. The only thing I’m sure of is the smaller, 35L versions will be too small for my needs. Not because I do big batches, but because I do high ABV beer.

My setup/process is to end up with 21L of wort in the fermenter. That will never change. 80% of my brews are above 8% ABV, with some in the 12%-14% range, so 1.120 OG to 1.130 OG. Taking a wild guess, I’m thinking the big grain bills would be over 10kg.

Guten make a 50L, but I’m not sure if that would be big enough to do what I want. Brewzilla’s new 65L V3.1.1 looks really good and seems the pick of the budget category now that it’s been upgraded so much. But, how would a 65L system work for a single batch of 5% ABV beer. I’m just not sure how a big system goes with a small grain bill. Anyway, what’s most important is I can do the big beers comfortably in what ever system I buy.

Unless its a budget decision, have a look at a Braumeister, probably a 50L model would be the best option, it will easily take 10kg of malt and if you just reduce the water you can get 1.100 gravities, even higher post boil.

The build quality, the management system and reliability are well worth the extra cost.
Mark

Agreed the Brau is a nice bit of kit but @ $3,500 or $4,300 for the plus it's a large chunk compared to $650.
I'll assume OP hasn't won Lotto, if you decide on the 65L and there's no mad rush I'd wait for their new model to be released, you might get the v3.1.1 at a reduced price, or decide that the new one is better, if you do decide on the new one, it might be best to wait for 6 months for the inevitable "upgrade"

BZ 65L works fine for single batches, I have done it many times no sparge for fast brew days, or for high ABV beers (largest OG I've hit is 1.120) without an issue.

MHB is an oracle of technical knowledge and it is rare that I would fundamentally disagree with his viewpoints - bu I cannot think of a likely circumstance where I would recommend someone spend 7x the price of a BZ 65L on a Braumeister 50L!

Drive both of them!
There are a lot more Hyundai's on the road than Porches, doesn't mean they don't both have their roles.
Not my first line, I am fully aware of the price difference and the quality difference to, I didn't even say he should buy one, just that its worth a look if for no other reason than to make an informed decision.
Mark

BZ 65L works fine for single batches, I have done it many times no sparge for fast brew days, or for high ABV beers (largest OG I've hit is 1.120) without an issue.

MHB is an oracle of technical knowledge and it is rare that I would fundamentally disagree with his viewpoints - bu I cannot think of a likely circumstance where I would recommend someone spend 7x the price of a BZ 65L on a Braumeister 50L!
Great, that’s exactly what I was hoping someone would post. Thanks

Agreed the Brau is a nice bit of kit but @ $3,500 or $4,300 for the plus it's a large chunk compared to $650.
I'll assume OP hasn't won Lotto, if you decide on the 65L and there's no mad rush I'd wait for their new model to be released, you might get the v3.1.1 at a reduced price, or decide that the new one is better, if you do decide on the new one, it might be best to wait for 6 months for the inevitable "upgrade"
I’m probably going to jump in sooner rather than later. If I always waited for the next bigger, better thing to come out I’d never buy anything. I’m impressed with the Brewzilla 3.1.1 version now they’ve ironed out the issues from earlier models and it looks like a good bit of kit, especially for the price.

Unless its a budget decision, have a look at a Braumeister, probably a 50L model would be the best option, it will easily take 10kg of malt and if you just reduce the water you can get 1.100 gravities, even higher post boil.

The build quality, the management system and reliability are well worth the extra cost.
Mark
I understand the suggestion, but my other hobby takes most of the budget.

From what I understand though, the beer is going to taste the same what ever system I use, but the user experience is going to vary. At this stage, all I care about is the beer.

Me too, and if I agreed that the outcomes were the same I would have gone with a cheaper option.
Mark

Me too, and if I agreed that the outcomes were the same I would have gone with a cheaper option.
Mark
The outcomes will be the same. And it would be impossible for you to tell if a beer was produced on a Guten, BZ or BM and if you state otherwise you're full of BS.

Well I can live with you thinking I'm full of BS, couldn't give a toss really.
Asking why I have that opinion might have been a little more politic, but that would have been surprising too.
Mark

Well I can live with you thinking I'm full of BS, couldn't give a toss really.
Asking why I have that opinion might have been a little more politic, but that would have been surprising too.
Mark
Every time the question gets asked the same analogy about Hyundai's not being a porche get brought up. But its a bad analogy. A porche is not a car. If a person asked what a good family SUV is why would I tell them to go looking at a Lamborghini?

And saying you could taste the difference between home-brew made on a Guten or BZ vs a BM is like saying you can walk into a shopping centre and tell who drives a Lamborghini and who rode their old postie bike based on the way they walk. The Lamborghini is a better use experience and therefore must give them a better experience, meaning they walk with less discomfort. It beggars belief someone could think that of themselves.

You have technical knowledge yeah, sure and most of it is accurate. But recommending someone spend 7+ x the money on a single vessel system because the beer will somehow be better? Its laughable.

Yeah, sure the user experience will be better. Next thing you will claim you can tell beers brewed in SS and PET fermenters apart in a blind test. So everyone should go and buy SS fermenters lol.

Yes, sorry about that, it should have been Porsche, spelling isn't my strong point.
What are you so upset about, I suggested he look at a Braumeister. Personally I think they are the best quality and performing option, that's my opinion and it's based on what I want from an all in one system.

Yes, sorry about that, it should have been Porsche, spelling isn't my strong point.
What are you so upset about, I suggested he look at a Braumeister. Personally I think they are the best quality and performing option, that's my opinion and it's based on what I want from an all in one system.

why suggest something if its way out of someones budget?

are you the type of person that likes to keep up with all the jones

if your friends was all driving Bentlys becuase they are the best around with all the bells and whistles you can imagine

and you asked whats the better vechile between a datson 120y 1974 and 1974 Toyota Corona and your friends said go and have a look at the current model Bently
becuase its the best car on the market as it has everything

are you going to say stuff it not buying the dato 120y or the Corona cos your budget is one 1 grand compared to the price of a Bently

why would you even consider looking at a bently if you cant afford to spend that cash

You stated a BM will make better tasting beer. Vast difference between "The BM is a much nicer unit, it's quality and makes life easier. It's worth looking at because it's like the Bentley of brewing. It will do the same job but its nicer"

Vs

"The BM will make your beer taste better."

Nothing wrong with suggesting people look at spending more money on something nicer. But implying they can only make good beer on something like a BM is an outright lie.

Most of your advice has an insidious "expensive is required to make good beer" tone to it. It's exclusivity like that which keeps people out of hobbies.

Advice on making better beer is great, but slanting it or implying people need to spend boatloads of cash to enjoy it is dangerous.

Also I can't spell, wasn't having a go at your spelling my stupid auto correct makes it porche for some unknown reason.

why suggest something if its way out of someones budget?

are you the type of person that likes to keep up with all the jones

if your friends was all driving Bentlys becuase they are the best around with all the bells and whistles you can imagine

and you asked whats the better vechile between a datson 120y 1974 and 1974 Toyota Corona and your friends said go and have a look at the current model Bently
becuase its the best car on the market as it has everything

are you going to say stuff it not buying the dato 120y or the Corona cos your budget is one 1 grand compared to the price of a Bently

why would you even consider looking at a bently if you cant afford to spend that cash
Exactly. Nothing wrong standing around having a chat on which car would be nicer if I won lotto, but telling someone they can't learn to drive unless they own one is dangerous. No one would drive cars.

I’m looking ahead to getting an all in one system and move to AG. It will probably be one of these two models. I have 15 amp.

I need guidance as to what size unit to get as that will go a long way to helping me decide which brand to buy. The only thing I’m sure of is the smaller, 35L versions will be too small for my needs. Not because I do big batches, but because I do high ABV beer.

My setup/process is to end up with 21L of wort in the fermenter. That will never change. 80% of my brews are above 8% ABV, with some in the 12%-14% range, so 1.120 OG to 1.130 OG. Taking a wild guess, I’m thinking the big grain bills would be over 10kg.

Guten make a 50L, but I’m not sure if that would be big enough to do what I want. Brewzilla’s new 65L V3.1.1 looks really good and seems the pick of the budget category now that it’s been upgraded so much. But, how would a 65L system work for a single batch of 5% ABV beer. I’m just not sure how a big system goes with a small grain bill. Anyway, what’s most important is I can do the big beers comfortably in what ever system I buy.
Guten also offer the 70 Litre and is very affordable.

Guten also offer the 70 Litre and is very affordable.
Yeah my biggest regret it going the 40 over 50. Should have gone more room, so I think 60L ish is the way to go.

Guten also comes with distillation options and I do like the fit and finish of the Guten over the BZ but have not seen the latest model BZ which I have heard good things about.

It's kind of like a Ford vs Holden and this stage.

To @Cloud Surfer you will enjoy the nuances of AG I am certain.

And, in honour of your latest threads and your infectious love of big beers I'm putting down a Yuge RIS in a week or so.

Will let you know how it goes on a 40L

I just want to jump to Mark’s defence a bit, because I’m surprised by how hard he was attacked. Not what I expected from such a nice forum full of great people. I’ve talked to Mark a couple of times, and he knows I’ve got a good job and could get the BM normally, so it was a fair suggestion. I’m just not that obsessed to spend so much money, when in my opinion I’m going to make the same beer anyway, especially being brand new to AG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back