Brewzilla and kegmenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siambrew

Reaction score
Hey guys i just got afew kegmenters the brewzilla 65 and the digiboil 65 this might sound like a stupid question but do you fellas think i should passivate all 4 before i get goin i mean dam 65ltr of starsan is a shit tone

cheerz guys

I never passivated my Robobrew 35l 3.0 because nothing was mentioned in the instructions or any of the “first use” videos I watched on youtube, but it wouldn’t hurt to do it.

I passivated my Ss Brew Buckets as per the instructions :

First Time Cleaning
Pre-Clean: Prior to first-time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the vessel, including all valves and
fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) in hot water, mixed with the manufacturer’s
recommendations. Scrub with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly and
dry all surfaces.
Passivation: It’s good practice to periodically passivate all stainless-steel equipment with an acid
based solution to establish a uniform passive oxide layer that will maximize corrosion resistance.
Following the pre-clean step, fill the vessel with Star San at a concentration of 1 ounce per gallon at
70-80°F for 30 minutes. Moving forward, for best stainless performance, passivation should be
performed at least once a year or anytime you believe you may have inadvertently scratched the
surface.
Cleaning and Sanitizing: As part of a regular cleaning regimen both pre and post-fermentation,
wash the interior surfaces of your vessel with an alkali cleaner such as PBW at a ratio of 0.75 ounce
per gallon. Then sanitize with Star San or another acid-based sanitizer per the manufacturer’s
recommendations.

You can get TSP from Bunnings sold as Tricleanium. You don’t need to use 65l of starsan you dilute it at 1 ounce per gallon or 29.5ml to 3.785 litres so for your Brewzilla I figure you’ll need about 506ml of starsan to the 65 litres.

Maybe use Stellarsan from kegland or another cheaper alternative to Starsan.

I certainly recommend passivating the Robobrew / Brewzilla, good to thoroughly clean it out before first use in any case so you might as well make the stainless shiny and easy to clean after you use it!

I never passivated my Robobrew 35l 3.0 because nothing was mentioned in the instructions or any of the “first use” videos I watched on youtube, but it wouldn’t hurt to do it.

I passivated my Ss Brew Buckets as per the instructions :

First Time Cleaning
Pre-Clean: Prior to first-time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the vessel, including all valves and
fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) in hot water, mixed with the manufacturer’s
recommendations. Scrub with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly and
dry all surfaces.
Passivation: It’s good practice to periodically passivate all stainless-steel equipment with an acid
based solution to establish a uniform passive oxide layer that will maximize corrosion resistance.
Following the pre-clean step, fill the vessel with Star San at a concentration of 1 ounce per gallon at
70-80°F for 30 minutes. Moving forward, for best stainless performance, passivation should be
performed at least once a year or anytime you believe you may have inadvertently scratched the
surface.
Cleaning and Sanitizing: As part of a regular cleaning regimen both pre and post-fermentation,
wash the interior surfaces of your vessel with an alkali cleaner such as PBW at a ratio of 0.75 ounce
per gallon. Then sanitize with Star San or another acid-based sanitizer per the manufacturer’s
recommendations.

You can get TSP from Bunnings sold as Tricleanium. You don’t need to use 65l of starsan you dilute it at 1 ounce per gallon or 29.5ml to 3.785 litres so for your Brewzilla I figure you’ll need about 506ml of starsan to the 65 litres.

Maybe use Stellarsan from kegland or another cheaper alternative to Starsan.
Cheers mate yeh your right i better do it properly first time a bottle of starsan seems like **** all compaired the the price of the other stuff anyway

Cheers again mate

I certainly recommend passivating the Robobrew / Brewzilla, good to thoroughly clean it out before first use in any case so you might as well make the stainless shiny and easy to clean after you use it!
Cheers for the help mate ill get on it defently

Degrease first using the TSP as suggested above, and then some sodium percarbonate or s/perborate that should be all you will need for the brewzilla, you will be able to see if there are any rust stains showing so you will not need any cleaning acid. The kegmenters where you can't inspect the welds same as the Brewzilla TSP followed by the s/perc follow that up with a clean of acid to remove any rust from the weld which may be there (oxalic acid is cheap on e bay). Once everything is clean of any grime and grease it is the chemical reaction of oxygen in the air and chromium which passivates the stainless steel.

Degrease first using the TSP as suggested above, and then some sodium percarbonate or s/perborate that should be all you will need for the brewzilla, you will be able to see if there are any rust stains showing so you will not need any cleaning acid. The kegmenters where you can't inspect the welds same as the Brewzilla TSP followed by the s/perc follow that up with a clean of acid to remove any rust from the weld which may be there (oxalic acid is cheap on e bay). Once everything is clean of any grime and grease it is the chemical reaction of oxygen in the air and chromium which passivates the stainless steel.
Cheers dude ill go get some from bunnings
Help is much appreciated

Latest posts

Back