Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Keg King Warehouse Warming Giveaway for Australian Brewers

ENTER HERE
    Remember, Oct 14th is when entry thread is locked and winners chosen!
    Dismiss Notice

Brewtan B and Green Strike Water

Discussion in 'Grain, Malt and Adjuncts' started by Black n Tan, 3/10/18.

1. Black n Tan

Posted 3/10/18
    A few months ago I started using Brewtan B (high MW tannic acid) in my mash and sparge water. This followed a brief experiment with low dissolved oxygen brewing. Although I ditched the LODO process I decided to retain Brewtan B as it binds copper and iron which are catalysts for oxidation reactions. I also started adding salts to my sparge water. One day I noticed my sparge water had turned a rusty brown colour and after further inspection realised my urn element was breaking down. I had been experiencing some muted hop and malt flavour in my beer so decided to ditch the urn for a new Birko with a concealed element. So today I brewed and added brew tan B and gypsum to the sparge water in the urn. A few hours later and I notice that the urn water has turned green. A quick search and other have had a similar experience. I'll brew tomorrow and ditch the Brewwtan, but curious as to what is going on?

2. Meddo

Posted 19/11/18
    Hey B&T, did you get to the bottom of this one? And can I ask why you decided to ditch the LODO aspect? I'm considering having a crack at that myself.

Cheers,

3. Black n Tan

Posted 29/11/18
    It would seem that high MW tannic acid forms colour compounds when it binds iron or copper. I guess this colour change is a sign that it is doing its' job, but is a little disconcerting. Regarding LoDO brewing I did a side by side comparison using conventional brewing and the loDO technique for a Munich Helles and I nor others could taste the difference in a blind triangle test. That said my beers recently haven't been of the quality they used to be and I am searching for a cause. When I find it I will repeat the experiment and see if there is an improvement. When I first did a LoDO batch some time back I felt it brought out a lovely grainy malt flavour but this didn't happen in the side by side comparison. I recently brewed a LoDO Munich Helles at Grain and Grape for a demo and must say it was a really lovely beer so it is certainly worth a try.

Meddo likes this.