Brewsta 0.1 Launched - Ahb Scoop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
AHB'ers after much talk - I have got off my arse and launched Brewsta 0.2 at sourceforge.

Brewsta on Sourceforge

Brewsta will one day be the premier homebrewing software and best of all it is open source and cross platform.

Any python programmers out there who would like to pitch in are most welcome to contact me here. I will be broadcasting this announcement more widely in due course (hopefully I am not the only python developer who homebrews).

The current functionality of Brewsta won't have you rushing to uninstall Promash. Having said that, I now use it exclusively to design and record my recipes but there is no hand holding yet.

Any honest and frank feedback would be most appreciated - if I can gain one or two more developers then I expect user friendliness and new features to come on fast.

brewstascreen.png

Cross platform, as in Mac?

Downloaded it, don't look like a Mac ap! Am I missing something here?

Jovial Monk

JM,

I haven't tried it on a Mac but I believe python and wxWindows are supported so in theory it should work. I have tested it on Linux and Windows.

You will need to install a recent version of python (I suggest 2.3) and wxWindows 2.4. Then you will need to run brewsta.py. If none of that means anything then I will have to get hold of a mac to try it.

The prepackaged installer will only work for MS Windows.

cheers

Great work sosman! I'll give it a go. Just a question, did you mean 0.1?
sosman said:
AHB'ers after much talk - I have got off my arse and launched Brewsta 0.2 at sourceforge.

MCWB said:
Just a question, did you mean 0.1?
The package numbering comes from subversion, the installer reports 0.2 and the sourceforge numbering is arbitrary. Some sanity should return once the source is in CVS there.

The main thing to note is that it is substantially less than 1.0 ;)

I like to think of it as an early adopter release.

No worries. It's just everything on the page at the moment refers to 0.1, and I didn't want an older version; I've installed it now, and it says it's 0.2, so it's all good. Will give you some feedback shortly, thanks again! :)

sosman,

Any plans to support BeerXML for the format of Brewsta's recipe files ? That would make recipe files interchangable with other BeerXML compliant brewing tools. This would also enhance your softwares viability other than also being cross platform.
Unfortunately I'm not overly Python proficient so can't offer my services.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Any plans to support BeerXML for the format of Brewsta's recipe files ? That would make recipe files interchangable with other BeerXML compliant brewing tools. This would also enhance your softwares viability other than also being cross platform.
Doc,

My plan would be to support "open" recipe formats. Hopefully also to be able to import promash.

The neat thing about open source (if I doesn't die a lingering death) is that end users generally get a good crack at the features that they want.

Would love to help out but am not a python programmer, more web programming(php, mysql, javascript, dhtml) and at best VB, and a little c, C++ Etc

Let me know if you do move onto other languages

Doc said:
Any plans to support BeerXML for the format of Brewsta's recipe files ?
Well is looks like I am now on the BeerXML mailing list - that is a start.

he,s not the mesiah,just a very naughty boy now piss off!

Sosman,

I installed the program, but it doesn't show any ingredients other than the malts. Is all this still under development?

By the way, it looks excellent. Good job!

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
I installed the program, but it doesn't show any ingredients other than the malts. Is all this still under development?
Correct, Brewsta is still under development.

If people are interested feel free to send me spreadsheets with the key numbers in for ingredients and I can add them.

Jovial_Monk said:
Cross platform, as in Mac?

Downloaded it, don't look like a Mac ap! Am I missing something here?
JM - have you had a chance to try running it on your Mac yet? PM me or catch me on #ahb.

Back