Brewshed Build.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
Turns out I've been given the green light and the funds to turn one side of the shed into a purpose-built brewing room.
I'm running ideas through my head and I'm trying to prioritise what needs to go in.
I have a 40l Crown urn and we're looking to upgrade to the Braumiester in about 6 months so I'd like to future-proof it so no major changes are required when it arrives.

I've got a 2 car shed with workshop attached. The missus' car goes in the middle bay and I've got the car space on the left.

I'm thinking about having a cupboards and a bench top along the side wall and the fridges at the very back, with a large laundry sink at one end with hot/cold water available.
What other things would you guys suggest to make things easier?
I've got a 15amp power, the one thing I'd like a is a bit more temp control, so I'm thinking of having the cupboards built from the aluminium/foam sandwich stuff that cool rooms are built from, with a possibly a fridge compressor keeping things at an even 22c or so throughout the cupboards.
Is this possible, or will it be cheaper/easier to try and keep the shed an even temperature, bearing in mind it's in Brisbane, and it won't be walled off from the rest of the garage.

well if you are getting the 50lt braumiester then you may have to upgrade your power to the shed. Not sure the minimum you can run with them? also if you got fridges and other stuff coming off it. I have a problem ATM with my 15amp circuit keeps tripping out as they have run my shed off the main house power point, So if the washing machine and drier is on nothing else is able to run or it trips out. Not good having 2 fermenting fridges, a keezer and the whole house power points hooked up. So if its not on a separate circuit then maybe consider that and future proof it if you get the big electric elements into the boils.

I think that making a cool room and running it off a compressor is not ideal. People say its cheaper to get a whole new fridge then to get a compressor replaced and regassed so going by that you would be far better off getting a cheap fridge or 2 to ferment in. My 2 fermenting fridges cost me $30 all up (without temp controllers) and can ferment 3 fermenters at a time or 2 and cc 1 and they have been going for about 2 years, maybe not the most energy efficient but they only gotto keep it at 18 deg or 12 for a lager unless cc so its not like its trying to keep it at 4 deg all year round. Also half the year they are wanting to heat it up anyway.

Noice!

Floor drains, tiled area maybe so its easier to hose out.

Cut out some of the floor and introduce a cellar?

I would be looking to control a smaller area for temperature rather than the whole shed.

I've got 15 amp. What power does is the 200l BM going to need?
Floor is concrete and slightly sloped already.

Technical data
Weight:

145 kg with elements built-in and lifting bows
Dimensions:

L 136 cm x B 90 cm x H 208 cm
Brewing quantity:

approx. 200 l of finished beer (standard beer) = approx. 230 l beer wort
Heating spiral:

3 x 3000 W heating capacity
Pump:

1 x 370 W
Power connection:

400 V (fuse at least 16 A)
Total connection:

9.4 kW
Item No.:

not sure how to get 400v or if you have to run a 32A minimum circuit to run it. There is a calculation you can use to convert watts into amps but not sure what it is.

ok found one. I put the pump in as well as it may run all 3 elements and the pump at the same time. You would need 40 amps but the 400v has got me as I worked it out on 240v

not sure how to get 400v or if you have to run a 32A minimum circuit to run it. There is a calculation you can use to convert watts into amps but not sure what it is.

ok found one. I put the pump in as well as it may run all 3 elements and the pump at the same time. You would need 40 amps but the 400v has got me as I worked it out on 240v

I count 9370 watts total, so at 240v(this is before transforming to 400v) you need 40amps. I think you might need phase 3 power to run this. Definitely won't work off a 15amp supply.
I'm no expert though.

you lucky *******! i wish i had somewhere to operate a 10L/min pressure cleaner...krausen stains what?

being in a unit i carry everything that needs the washing upstairs into the unit and into the shower...it gets old real quick

but yeah, i'd seriously look at a decent size shower enclosure so you can go sick on anything remotely dirty without getting the rest of the shed wet

Definitely get your wet area sorted. If you have already concrete floors, maybe just coat them with some kind of waterproof floor paint or whatever you'd call that stuff. Drains would come in really handy but might be hard if your floor is already done. Where does the floor slope to? To the outside?

I'd also recommend you to take your time. I'm planning my perfect build in my head as well and keep changing things around all the time. Hope to be ready sometime next year.

I put a floor sink in my brew shed when i built it. Just boxed it up around a 50mm drain. It's really handy to be able to hose stuff out....

distillery1washtrough1.jpg

There's a wall behind it now of course and it's all plumbed with double filtered water and a stretchy hose as well. You can just see the door to the right.

I also put a gantry in for lifting drums and barrels etc...

distillery1gantry1.jpg

The biggest improvement i made was when i started brewing allgrain a couple of months ago i ran hot water from the solar hot water heater underground to the shed.
Now when i start my boil i'm starting with 70-80C water. :icon_chickcheers:

Don't have a picture of that so i'll post a pic of my GF instead..

hillbilly.jpeg

If they state you need 400v 16amp supply,itd be a 3phase 16amp per phase circuit required.

With your wet area Sama I'd look at two tubs not just a single. Even in my early stage I use two sinks and bloody hell it saves me heaps of problems. I have a small one constantly with a 4 litre starsan mix in it so I can constantly clean/ rinse and then resantise stuff as I go through my brew day

That's a great idea Rowy, that just made the list.

Definately painting the floor, wall-length cabinet will be made out of 75mm coolroom panel that'll be drilled at the front to fit hoses from 4 fermenters. I think I'll have the cabinetry will be off the ground about 300mm to allow for racking into secondaries.

I really did unleash a monster.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Get the temp control sorted - compared to a braumeister, it's chook-feed money and is going to improve the flexibility of your brewing out of sight. Without temp control, I couldn't have produced that lager you tried.

I found that in summer (remember where my keg fridge was up the back?), I had to move the fridge to a darker and cooler spot, because the fridge and fermentation freezer were working overtime.

Goomba

Oh yeah dude, totally your fault.
It's a tin shed, that's where my biggest issue lies, keeping the damn thing cool. I think it'll be easier to keep a small space at say, 22c, than to keep the whole shed cool.
I've gotta call the sparky and find out how much 3 phase is going to cost me, that could be a big bill and may trip up the plans...

Back