Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chridech said:
Yes, mostly works fine, but range to smartphone is only about 3 metres from inside a fridge. Also when cold crashing under pressure the readings go awry. Gravity reads 6 to 8 points lower than prior to chilling.
I see the same when cold crashing not under pressure. The readings become totally unreliable and are about your 6 to 8 points lower.

From the Tilt website.

Due to the polycarbonate housing of the the Tilt, no correction is needed for 38F to 98F.

Michael Burton said:
Xaxis, could it be resting against the side of the fermenter at times? I am concerned this could make it sit more vertical and read artificially high values.
Thanks Michael, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps when the krausen is high and the Tilt makes its way over to the side, the foam makes it hard for the Tilt to move or sit true. The Tilt website has this onnit regarding foam and CO2:

Q. How is the Tilt affected by foam?

A. There is no noticeable interference from foam. Foam plays a minimal role since it is significantly less dense than the beer and 95% of the device is submerged in the beer.

Q. How do bubbles from CO2 affect the Tilt?

A. We recommend putting the Tilt in your beer prior to pitching yeast, this will ensure any bubbles will not affect initial readings. Bubbles from dissolved CO2 may cause higher than expected readings for a short time if placed in an active fermenting brew. However, this can be sped up if washed with alcohol (i.e. Everclear).

I think I could understand a point or two variation in SG. It's the 5or 6 point swings that confuse me.

Just slightly OT, did you make any progress on you Pourtal project? I'm pretty interested in that one. I can see how it could be integrated into a brewstat.us profile and as my kegs are downstairs via a remote draw system I am keen on something that keeps an eye on the levels of beer in there.
Having said that, this is definitely drifting off topic. I have posted something on the thread you made about it in 2016.

I have noticed my tilt readings go wrong when I dry hop, I think it all lands on top of the thing and gets stuck, screwing with the readings. Not a big deal, other than that it works beautifully, even with the FTSS coils in the brew bucket.

I'm finding the Tilt most useful for brewing Lagers using a fast fermentation method. Gravity checked every day to get an approximate value to determine when to ramp temperature. Also good to decide when the ferment is done. I've had too many problems with accuracy of calibration, effects of big krausen, variability with pressure and dry hopping, to trust absolute gravity readings. The trend is
reliable IMO but not always the raw numbers. Still recommend it especially if you are looking to avoid oxygen exposure by brewing in a pressure vessel.

Totally. I guess the raw numbers aren't as important as the trend. The Tilt website is, however, fairld confident I n the reading being accurate to a pretty high level.

I have also noticed that in cold crashing, my tilts have been dropping their connectivity lots, like I had to restart the bluetooth on my tablet and give the fermenters a bit of a jiggle to 'wake' the tilts.
Has anyone noticed that?

XaxisYcross said:
I have also noticed that in cold crashing, my tilts have been dropping their connectivity lots, like I had to restart the bluetooth on my tablet and give the fermenters a bit of a jiggle to 'wake' the tilts.
Has anyone noticed that?
Im 3 days into my first brew with the tilt. I'm finding the bluetooth drops out every 30 or so mins. If I turn bluetooth off and on again it will re-pickup.
I'm in contact with the developers at the moment about this issue. If we come up with a solution I will report back. I'm not at cold crashing stages yet.

I'm running this on a nexus 4 - android.

I bought a cheap android phone from officeworks and mounted it on my fermenting freezer control unit. It works fine but may drop out sometimes once during the ferment. But it is sitting on the freezer lid at the moment so is pretty close.

1492389364789537607610.jpg

Yeah I bought a cheap tablet running Android also. This way I can use it for Grainfather Connect and controlling the brewhouse Sonos :super: Seems to be running ok, just the odd drop out but nothing major. I have noticed also during cold crash that, as you mentioned Glomp,

Glomp said:
I see the same when cold crashing not under pressure. The readings become totally unreliable and are about your 6 to 8 points lower.
Can confirm this is a thing. Had a Belgian Wit that finished at 1.009 and during cold crash is actually reading 0.997 at 0.6C.
The Tilt website states:
Q What type of temperature range can this handle?
A. The temperature range of the Tilt is 32-185 F.

Clearly this doesn't indicate an accurate working temperature range. I wonder how you would factor this in if you were lagering?
Still love the Tilt and would recommend them.

Glomp said:
I bought a cheap android phone from officeworks and mounted it on my fermenting freezer control unit. It works fine but may drop out sometimes once during the ferment. But it is sitting on the freezer lid at the moment so is pretty close.
Do you know the phone you are using here? I am wondering if my issues are to do with an old nexus 4. I may have to pop out and buy a cheap phone instead.

It was a zte zip 4g prepaid which was locked to the optus network. Since I didn't need the phone to function I didn't have to worry about that.

It is Bluetooth 4 which is required for the Tilt and it cost $49.00

Glomp said:
It was a zte zip 4g prepaid which was locked to the optus network. Since I didn't need the phone to function I didn't have to worry about that.

It is Bluetooth 4 which is required for the Tilt and it cost $49.00
Thanks, good to get confirmation from someone who is using a cheap android phone. The zte zip 4g is on special at coles tomorrow onwards for $49 so I think I'll grab one.

Seems my issue is related to using the google nexus 4. The tilt developer sent me some information showing many others having bluetooth issues.

Hello visit our new Online Monitor.beer that makes it easy for home brewers to get graphical display of the fermentation process with Tilt hydrometer, Ispindel hydrometer or Plaato hydrometer from anywhere.

Plaato is a running kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792157374/plaato-reinventing-the-airlock.

Ispindel is a DIY Hydrometer: http://hackaday.com/2017/03/01/iot-device-pulls-its-weight-in-home-brewing/

On Monitor.beer you will have a full overview throughout the fermentation process wherever you may be. Having full control during fermentation is a must for brewing a fantastic beer.

Here you will find us: https://monitor.beer

Online information during fermentation:

Continuous alcohol%.
Continuous yeast attenuation%.
Continuous fermentation%.
Continuous temperature.
Ongoing SG.
How long sg is stable for days.
Minimum temperature through fermentation.
Average temperature through fermentation.
Maximum temperature through fermentation.
Number of days fermentation.

Does anyone know if there is another supplier in Australia besides Brewmart in WA as they are currently out of stock

Cheers

Wobbly

Bump the above post re suppliers of the Tilt In Australia

Anyone

Wobbly

Grain and Grape VIC have just started selling them. For the price unless its controlling my ferm temps too i cant see the point.

There's one on Gum tree. Based in WA.
This guy?
Yeh I have seen that one and been in touch with him but it looks like it is the original/first release model where as the current ones have improved battery life, and sensitivity etc.

When I asked why he was selling it he didn't respond to that part of my inquiry so I don't know if there were/are issues that basically becomes your problem with no comeback after the sale so I gave it a miss.

Interestingly after I offered him a reduced price, which he wouldn't accept he has since dropped the asking price. Not implying anything just saying.

Cheers

Wobbly

Back