BrewMonitor project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally when I went to my Dad with this project (he's more techy-savvy than I am) it was going to be STC-1000 with photon (instead of arduino). Then it was going to be R-Pi with photon (like latest BrewPi). He bought a photon & is enjoying mucking around with it, but after looking more closely at various ways of doing this he doesn't think arduino/photon is required. He suspects that every time someone built a newer one of these that they used arduino just because that's how they were always built beforehand.

Also, mine will control and transmit data via wifi rather than over USB/serial.

For me having worked as a systems administrator in the past and currently as a software developer - having a full, real Linux environment with whatever programming languages I wanted available and actual available CPU and RAM is too much for me to resist.

I've played with Arduino fairly extensively and even coded a whole management sketch for two fridges with a basic web interface (EtherTen Arduino) before the ROM space was running out. It also ran so hot that I couldn't touch it. The price of a Mega was higher than a RasPi at that point so it was a no-brainer to go to rpi.

I'm going to start a thread for my software project as there is likely some interest from others (Written in Python, individual brewery, dual fermentor and kegerator control software, PhoneGap/Cordova Mobile control app etc). All on GitHub, too. Fermentation software is almost at the point of doing basic (i.e. no PID algorithm implemented as yet) ferment temp control. The brewery control software is slightly less mature but is parsing a Beersmith XML export and generating mash steps to control a RIMS tube and pumps etc. I don't expect I'll bother with valve control. I have a RasPi 7" touch screen ready to go and intend to use this as a secondary interface for brewery control along side the mobile app. REST/JSON APIs etc in each. Brewery and Fermentor control are both multi-threaded.

I must admit I still don't understand what rPi brings to the table over a photon. I fully understand if that's the technology stack you already know and love but IMO rPi is a little over the top for logging bytes and toggling IO. Hosting a web server locally is novel but old hat with all the cloud platforms available today that photon can push to with a couple of lines of code. Running a fast TFT display is a possible benefit of the rPi, but it certainly comes at a cost and isn't necessary if you've got a good UI in the cloud.

If going down the Linux route I'd strongly consider C.H.I.P over rPi instead. Call it BrewC.H.I.P and attract a whole new community of fanboys like BrewPi did. Ideally the hype of the new hardware platform might overshadow the fact that it's a poor choice of hardware and could be done cheaper with an ESP8266 for example.

Again I totally respect that if you already love the rPi then that's a great reason to go that route though!

I'd never heard of a Photon until about 30 mins ago :) It will be very handy for another project I'm working on that I need a small, light and very simple interface to the CANBUS in a car.

For me I picked RasPi because it runs an OS I'm intimately familiar with, a language I wasn't so much (but wanted to learn) and for me the cost wasn't even a concern. I actually chose it after trying a BeagleBone Black - that is much more overkill :) Yes the RPI is still overkill, but what you consider overkill I probably consider flexibility :) Can you SSH to a Photon, for example?

I don't want to use 3rd party cloud services. I dislike sending my data, any data, to any external service. I want it locally in a database I control on hardware I control, then I can do as I wish with the data rather than being at the mercy of a 3rd party which may disappear overnight (an extreme example, granted). Then again I am a software developer who likes to do everything himself (again, overkill).

At the end of the day just about everything (even photon) could be considered overkill - all you really need is an STC1000 to maintain a stable ferment temp and plenty of others could successfully argue you don't even need that level of control to make great homebrew.

Anyway, apologies again for polluting your thread - I really like your project and I'd love to have a closer look at the code on Github. I'll put up a thread for mine in the next few days.

Hey vortex. Don't worry about "polluting" the thread, I feel your discussion is very relevant and we're all aiming for the same outcome. In fact I've learned so much from the feedback in this thread I'm very glad that I posted it up even if it's not all positive for the BrewMonitor project in its current guise.

Also, sorry if my last post sounds like it was rebuking yours. Actually I was typing it up on my phone and didn't see your post until after I posted mine. I mentioned TFT displays and working with platforms you already know because I think they're the strongest points in favour of the Rpi, the fact that you also mentioned them is a testament that you're using the Rpi for valid reasons IMO. Do check out CHIP though (linky); it has Linux, WiFi, Bluetooth and HDMI and costs only 9 bucks.

Anyhow, I do endorse setting up your own thread about your project and garnering some feedback from the community if only because there are so many smart cookies on AHB (like yourself) that freely offer great feedback, but feel free to keep making suggestions here too!

Michael Burton said:
If going down the Linux route I'd strongly consider C.H.I.P over rPi instead. Call it BrewC.H.I.P and attract a whole new community of fanboys like BrewPi did.
Michael Burton said:
Do check out CHIP though (linky); it has Linux, WiFi, Bluetooth and HDMI and costs only 9 bucks.
For the RPi loyalists, the RPi foundation recently released the Zero, which apparently retails for $5, but lacks the baked-in wifi / BT that the C.H.I.P. offers.

"coz" is reason enough for some of us :blush: but the basic rationale is:

Fermentation is super important. Like if you only do one thing right in your brew make sure you... sanitise. But if you get two things right, make sure your fermentation is good also.

Yeast is sensitive to many factors and we can't control them all. Fermentation doesn't always follow an exact timeline and sometimes surprises happen so it pays to keep tabs on progress.

Unlike brew day, fermentation takes a loong time. Personally, I'm too impatient to sit around and time my lag phase and I tend to miss the right moment for a diacetyl rest too. Having a system that can record this stuff and push notifications to my phone when it's time to get off my arse and take an S.G. reading or bump the thermostat just makes sense to me.

I used BrewMonitor to record my most recent brew and discovered a number of minor faults in my process that I didn't expect. I'll put up a vid to explain it all as soon as I get the chance but flat out working on Yeast Forge for the next few days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention distance. I brew in a laundry in a completely separate building from my house which makes checkups a pain, especially if it's raining. I'm probably an extreme case but many brewers operate out of their garages and basements so I doubt I'm alone.

Hi megabyte, has there been any progress on this project at all? I had a peek at Github and it doesn't look like much has progressed since it was released?

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt, I haven't gone further with the BrewMonitor project. Tech has advanced so fast over the past 2 years it's something I'd love to get back to some day!

The airlock sensor uses an infrared light gate and a 3D printed mould to hold it in place on a standard gooseneck type of airlock.
Hi megabyte, i stumbled on your product through some online searching for a fermenting airlock optical monitos and am very keen to know what optical detector you are using to detect bubbles in the airlock tube and to what level is it reliable.
By pure coincidence i am also developing a similar more basic product using the RPi Pico without the wifi smarts to indicate increasing or decreasing CO2 output.

I am still a novice & running into difficulty finding a reliable optical detector. i have tried microphone & red LED with LDR detector but not 100% reliable,

Can you please advise ?

Back