Brewmate whirlpool addition calculation's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc64

Reaction score
Just putting together a recipe using brewmate and I was wondering how people are calculating their whirlpool additions?

I have just been calling them a 5 minute addition for the purpose of calculating IBU's but wanted to see what others are doing. I really love the software, seem's to get me pretty spot on with all my volumes doing a single batch sparge.

Cheers.

Whirlpool and flame out are both just calculated by default as zero minute. I believe Brewmate uses a +15min rule for no-chill. There is a check box somewhere in the software for "no-chill". (I don't actually use it)

Crusty said:
Do you mean first wort hopping addition whilst transferring to the boil kettle?
reckon he's referring to basically a "flameout" crusty.

Crusty said:
Do you mean first wort hopping addition whilst transferring to the boil kettle?
Big Nath said:
reckon he's referring to basically a "flameout" crusty.

Whirlpool are slightly different to flame out

Flame out additions are, as you guessed when you turn the heat off. ie 0 min.
Whirlpool additions are, additions when you stir the kettle to whirlpool it. In my case I leave the kettle 10mins after flame out for the heat convection currents to drop back before whirlpooling/stirring it. So you could almost say it's a -10 min (negative 10 min) addition.

Beers like Epic Pale Ale call for both a flame out and also a whirlpool addition.

QldKev

QldKev said:
Whirlpool are slightly different to flame out

Flame out additions are, as you guessed when you turn the heat off. ie 0 min.
Whirlpool additions are, additions when you stir the kettle to whirlpool it. In my case I leave the kettle 10mins after flame out for the heat convection currents to drop back before whirlpooling/stirring it. So you could almost say it's a -10 min (negative 10 min) addition.

Beers like Epic Pale Ale call for both a flame out and also a whirlpool addition.

QldKev
Sorry, should have said Flame out additions. If you have the timer set to 0 they give no contribution to the IBU total. I've been setting them to 5 minutes but was wondering what others think.

I have listened to a few podcasts that have talked of a lot of American brewers that add nearly all of their hop's right at the end of the boil and flame out and I'm going to experiment with it a little.

Have a search on here for "10 min APA". It's basically like you said, add all your hops at 10min to go. I've tried it and it didn't really do it for me.

You will need to select the google search option as the default search returns nothing.

QldKev

jc64 said:
Sorry, should have said Flame out additions. If you have the timer set to 0 they give no contribution to the IBU total. I've been setting them to 5 minutes but was wondering what others think.

I have listened to a few podcasts that have talked of a lot of American brewers that add nearly all of their hop's right at the end of the boil and flame out and I'm going to experiment with it a little.
Stay away from those Yanky doodles. Great brewers in their own right but us Aussies lead the way with No Chill & Brew In A Bag............. :beerbang:

The 0min addition adds nothing to the IBU with no chill which is correct so instead of pushing that addition to 5mins, which will add a slight increase to IBU, why not double your 0min addition for a whack of aroma. Less than 10mins is all about aroma for me. You can also dry hop this addition after primary fermentation is finished. Are you wanting to increase your IBU? If so, do it at 60mins & leave the later additions for flavour & or aroma.

Crusty said:
Stay away from those Yanky doodles. Great brewers in their own right but us Aussies lead the way with No Chill & Brew In A Bag............. :beerbang:

The 0min addition adds nothing to the IBU with no chill which is correct so instead of pushing that addition to 5mins, which will add a slight increase to IBU, why not double your 0min addition for a whack of aroma. Less than 10mins is all about aroma for me. You can also dry hop this addition after primary fermentation is finished. Are you wanting to increase your IBU? If so, do it at 60mins & leave the later additions for flavour & or aroma.

:unsure: Not sure if I can agree with that statement.

IMHO the longer you take to get under 80c the more IBU will result.

QldKev said:

No experience with BrewMate but agree with Kev although I rarely no-chill. Usually chill to 80 deg c then add '0' additions for 20 before whirlpooling.
If adding at '0' before no-chilling, perhaps consider adding to the keg via a coffee plunger after fermentation instead?
Have had good results with this after normal chilling & transferring to fermenter with no '0' additions.
Not too sure how this would go with no-chill but sounds ok?

QldKev said:

Me too. If that was the case 100% cube hopped beers wouldn't be bitter.

QldKev said:

IMHO the longer you take to get under 8

IMHO the longer you take to get under 80c the more IBU will resut
Ok. Got my wires crossed. It does add to IBU. I just punched in double my 0min addition & it does affect IBU.
I've got a bad habit of getting on here half cut & sometimes I post jibberish!
Carry on people & ignore my last couple of posts........................ :unsure:

Back