Brewmate Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In BIAB mode, there is no sparge water.

camstans said:
Where is the sparge water???

brewmate.jpg
No need to sparge. You have set this up with a L/G ratio of 6.82, that's where your sparge water is if you want to do one.
I do a 90min sacc rest & a mash out with no sparge & hit 80-82% efficiency.
Sparging's a waste of time with Biab in my opinion, you don't need to do one.

If you want to show mash and sparge volumes go into Settings -> Default Settlings and change BIAB to All-Grain then open the brew day sheet again and it will have that information instead. :D

Crusty said:
No need to sparge. You have set this up with a L/G ratio of 6.82, that's where your sparge water is if you want to do one.
I do a 90min sacc rest & a mash out with no sparge & hit 80-82% efficiency.
Sparging's a waste of time with Biab in my opinion, you don't need to do one.
Crusty. Could you explain your process a bit further to me. I can only crack about 65%. I mashin then rest for 90 mins then raise to 78c for mashout and then lift bag and drain. I then do a sparge of the grain with some water I have kept back from the original strike water volume. Eg 10 litres from 64 litres. (42litre batch)

Rowy said:
Crusty. Could you explain your process a bit further to me. I can only crack about 65%. I mashin then rest for 90 mins then raise to 78c for mashout and then lift bag and drain. I then do a sparge of the grain with some water I have kept back from the original strike water volume. Eg 10 litres from 64 litres. (42litre batch)
Exactly what I am doing except the sparge.
What brewing software are you using?
There's only two things I can see that will affect your low efficiency.
1: How are you crushing your grain, mill gap?
2. You are measuring your efficiency incorrectly.
I think your mash will benefit from leaving that 10 extra litres in with the grain for the 90mins & simply doing a mash out & forget the sparge.

Back