Brewmate no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
I am looking to hear from anyone who uses Brewmate recipe designer with the no chill option.
I prefer to freestyle hops, and like FWH at the start of 90 minute boil.
I currently use the 90 minute FWH to achieve IBU requirement and then use the hop addition window set to Aroma to calculate the added IBU's for a no minute addition.
Question...what are your experiences with this process and have you found success or modified from experience the procedure ?
I am attempting to achieve some hop flavour without over bittering.

I use it. Works fine for me. I only do 60 min boils and I no-chill 90% of the time.

When first started no chilling pale ales they were coming out with just a touch too much bitterness for my tastes, I just work them out 5 IBUs short of what I'm chasing and it works fine.

If no chilling, you could delay your aroma addition, reserve a litre of wort in a sterile jar and use it next day to do a hop tea in a coffee press, then chuck that into the fermentor. That way the hop extracts aren't exposed to hot wort for too long.

Sometimes I marvel at my own ignorance.....Why didnt read this sooner.

The IPA I brewed and no chilled last week using brewmate was pretty highly hopped at 84 IBUs.

If I go back and tick the "No Chill" box it looks like it is going to be more like 127.

I do everything as normal except I put all hop additions except for the 60 minute one in a hop sock and remove them at the end of the boil. Works well for me.

Don't forget to tick the box..... and the only way I have achieved good hop aroma/flavour is flame out additions. Dry hopped one brew in the secondary and ended up grassy. Have cube hopped the next brew, see how that turns out. Half the fun is experimenting.

Bribie G said:
If no chilling, you could delay your aroma addition, reserve a litre of wort in a sterile jar and use it next day to do a hop tea in a coffee press, then chuck that into the fermentor. That way the hop extracts aren't exposed to hot wort for too long.
Would your preference be this rather than dry hop ?
Would you choose a low AA hop for aroma or use less of a high AA hop such as Galaxy ?
What would be your steep time in a coffee press ?

For UK ales I nearly always use either Styrian Goldings or Aurora (Styrians on Steroids) - typical recipe might be 25g of Styrians for around five minutes only and use boiling wort of course. It mimics the hop back. Dry hopping can get a bit grassy sometimes. For lagers and fake lagers I have used Hallertau Aroma NZ that gives a nice aroma as name suggests.

I have no chilled for years. Best way to get more aroma is to pour off 2 litres of a batch into a saucepan on the day you will pitch the yeast and reboil the worth then add the aroma hops to the saucepan. Boil for a few minutes then dump it into the fermenter. The litre hot wort won't increase by anymore than a couple of degrees. Then add yeast and dry hop later.

luvbeer said:
I have no chilled for years. Best way to get more aroma is to pour off 2 litres of a batch into a saucepan on the day you will pitch the yeast and reboil the worth then add the aroma hops to the saucepan. Boil for a few minutes then dump it into the fermenter. The litre hot wort won't increase by anymore than a couple of degrees. Then add yeast and dry hop later.
I do similar for hoppy ales. I pull off 2 litres into a coke bottle and no chill the rest into a cube. Then on brewday I reboil the 2 litres with my sub 10 min additions. Works a treat and doesn't take too much extra time or effort.

No worries mate. Have a play with it and see what you prefer. Hopping (or brewing for that matter) is not an exact science. Different hops, wort makeup, yeast, water chemistry, age of hops amongst other things all combine together to determine your hop utilisation and flavour/aroma.

How do you account for no chill in beer smith? I have first wort and steep/whirlpool options but none of them adjust my IBU.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
How do you account for no chill in beer smith? I have first wort and steep/whirlpool options but none of them adjust my IBU.
I dont use beersmith, however Im pretty sure Ive read on the beersmith website something regarding no chill functionality being introduced into one of the versions.

Do you have beersmith 2.2?

edit. Ive had a look and cant seem to find any info on the option....

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Add 15min to your times.

Hi,
I have just downloaded Brewmate and don't really know what I am doing.
I am trying to get a 25lt batch of Montheiths original ale c/o the recipe database c/o Tony.
The selection box doesn't have many English styles and I am getting yellow boxes and a 1.83 abv.
Any help please?

Latest posts

Back