Brewmaster Ipa Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decibel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got one of these and I'm trying to get some ideas on what I can add to it.
I've hit the search engine on the forum alot but haven't really found much..
Any suggestions are appreciated cause I'm gonna be doing it this weekend.
Thanks!

Mat :icon_cheers:

I've not heard of that kit before but I find a fair whack of chinook at flameout goes well with the IPA kits I have done. Go all malt, none of this dextrose stuff :)

Hi all,

I've got one of these and I'm trying to get some ideas on what I can add to it.
I've hit the search engine on the forum alot but haven't really found much..
Any suggestions are appreciated cause I'm gonna be doing it this weekend.
Thanks!

Mat :icon_cheers:

Whats in the kit??

Sorry I'm stuck at work so I don't know the ingredients in the kit, I'll check tonight and update my post.

no worries, I thought it was a can of goo + mix of malt + hops + + + .....

Since its just the can, I would use 2 kgs of malt and a crapload of American Hops... Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook and the like... or English ones like Fuggles, EKG and Goldings....

And use S04 if using English style hops and US-05 if using American

From my experience, the IPA kit with nothing added (hops, grains etc) is crap

:icon_cheers: DJ!
I'll get onto it first thing tomorrow now I have a plan

How far do you want to go?

Kit only.
Can + 1kd LDME + 500g dex.
Use good yeast! Not the kit stuff!

With Grains
Steep 250g crystal for 30 min at 66deg

With Hops
15g chinook or cascade in the fermenter
15g again after ferment, in the 2ndary for 3 days

I would recommend Craftbrewer if you dont have a good LHBS... Service is first class!!
Not affiliated blah blah yada yada...

I'm headed to the brew'n'grow on the Nepean, same deal there !
Thanks again you guys, much appreciated

Where are you located Mat? where'd you pick it up cheap? Brew'n'grow on the nepean as in Nepean river?

I just brewed one of these with 2 kg DME and 60g fuggles hops and used the kit yeast.

Boiled 200g DME with 2 litres water added 30g of hops for 15 min boil added to fermenter with remainder of malt and goo topped to 23L added remaining 30g fuggles.

It turned out very well indeed.

Sorry syd_03, wrong nepean (hwy), I'm in VIC =) cheers for the recipe idea as well, sounds tasty

Hi there Mat, i only just cracked my first bottle of Coopers IPA kit about 20 mins ago. I boild 20g Amarillo for 10 mins and it's turned out the most bitter of all my brews. Body is nice and full, i used 800g LDME and 200g dex, so it's about a mid strength but very bitter.

It's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks tomorrow so a bit young (i was keen to sample). Does anyone know if the bitterness will settle down in the conditioning or will it increase?

Weird because nearly all my brews come out a little too sweet. :huh:

Cheers
Bowie

most definitely will decrease.

I did my first of this kit with the same hops additions as above (30g fuggles for 15 mins and 30g dry hopped in fermenter) but I forgot the second bag of malt (I found it in my cupboard three weeks after I bottled it when doing my next brew, where'd this extra bag come from I said haha).

So with one kg of DME only I ended up around 4.6% and probaly not much more that your IBU. First few months was fairly bitter, the Kit IBU alone with no addtions is quite high. At three months the bitterness when cold was still high but much more drinkable and as it warmed in the glass the maltiness came through.

My second attempt was the same hop additions but I remembered the second kg of DME. I tried after one week to see how it compared when very young and it was fairly bitter but so much more ballanced than previously. Can't wait till it is around 6-8 weeks I imagine it will still be very hoppy which I like but also have that maltiness coming through. The alcohol of around 6.4% helps too.

You mean i have to wait 3 months to see if the bittering taste has subsided :eek: ?
I actually couldn't finish the pint because it was soooo bitter. I don't understand.
I've been reaching for whatever food i have laying around in the fridge and cupboard just to get the taste out of my mouth.
Damn, another shitty brew :angry: .

Haha nah, I tasted at like 2 weeks and 4 weeks and then finally 6 weeks and then just left it for a while and drank some of my other beers. Mine was improving at week 4 to 6. I think give it another 2 to 4 weeks and you should notice a huge difference. Most bottles beers should be conditioned for 4 weeks minimum and 8 weeks is preferable and will continue to improve up to about 12-14 weeks maybe even longer depending on the style. Mine was never so bitter I couldn't drink it though, but I do like a bitter beer, SWMBO doesn't really like any of my beers haha.

Yeak ok syd i'll leave for a long while. I did that with a wheat beer i brewed in november that i never imagined was going to be drinkable. Still not that flash now, but drinkable.

Next time, more malt to balance that bitterness.

Cheers
Bowie

Latest posts

Back