Brewman Dealz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some notes on the Golden Naked Oats.

Golden Naked Oats

Golden Naked Oats are very different in appearance from Malted Oats and this is because Golden Naked Oats are made from a naked oat.

As the name implies, naked oats naturally thresh free from the husk during harvest. This means that they can be tricky for farmers to grow and this is reflected in the small acreage of naked oats grown throughout the UK compared to other oats. Nevertheless, this natural grain is nutrient dense with high digestible energy. As a result, it’s suitable for use across a range of sectors, including malting.

That’s the first difference. The second major difference is that, unlike Malted Oats, Golden Naked Oats go through the roasting process. This happens at our Tivetshall St Margaret maltings in Norfolk, UK.

In going through our Roast House, albeit a light roast similar to that of our Caramalt, Golden Naked Oats become gently caramelised. So, while you get the creaminess and smoothness that is typical of oat products, there is an extra dimension to Golden Naked Oats.

The best way to differentiate between the two is by flavour. Malted Oats are akin to a porridge oat, while Golden Naked Oats taste like a sugary breakfast cereal bar. The gentle caramelisation during the roasting phase generates this sweetness.

So, what impact does this taste have during the process? Well, the chemical reactions that take place in the Roast House mean that the sugars created through gentle caramelisation are unfermentable. This flavour holds throughout the brewing process to the finished beer.

The sugars generated in Malted Oats, meanwhile, are fermentable.

Like Malted Oats, Golden Naked Oats can be added to many beers. However, due to its bolder, sweeter flavours generated because of the unfermentable sugars, it tends to be used up to a maximum of 10% of the mash.

Potassium Bicarbonate 225g Dealz $3.95
riess Traditional Dark 1.5Kg $7.95
Golden Naked Oats (Simpsons) Uncracked 1Kg Dealz $4.50

Hi Steve, can I check that all the liquid yeasts on the website marked as 'in stock' are indeed in stock and ready to send out? After some Brett and saison yeast that I can't get locally in Sydney.

Hi Steve, can I check that all the liquid yeasts on the website marked as 'in stock' are indeed in stock and ready to send out? After some Brett and saison yeast that I can't get locally in Sydney.
Hi Simon,

Saisons are in stock, both varieties. These are nearly always available to order off the website.

Brett and wilds I will order for you. I am the importer for Wyeast but only order the wild strains to order. So let me know and I will add to the order. The next order will go in around the end of the month. Note I can order anything else you want fresh off the plane too. Customers have had yeast within 7 days of manufacture.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Steve

Brett and wilds I will order for you. I am the importer for Wyeast but only order the wild strains to order. So let me know and I will add to the order. The next order will go in around the end of the month. Note I can order anything else you want fresh off the plane too. Customers have had yeast within 7 days of manufacture.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Steve
Fingers crossed the new PC offerings are out by that point, I'm hoping the 3031-PC Saison-Brett Blend is back on offer

Fingers crossed the new PC offerings are out by that point, I'm hoping the 3031-PC Saison-Brett Blend is back on offer
At the moment there are some nice and rare lager strains, see below. No hold that they ended in Dec 21.

They have not released this season's yet.
Will add a post when they do.

Cheers
Steve

Back