Brewiser Brewing Sugar Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
Doing the Christmas food-up in Coles yesterday and spotted this new product in the homebrewing section. It comes in a small tin maybe 500-750g and instructs the purchaser to use it instead of the bag of white sugar you would normally add to your kit. It will, allegedly, improve flavour, mouthfeel and head retention.

The ingredients are listed as 100% maize starch. Is that just maltodextrin? As in: corn syrup? As in: you add about 250g in the dried form to improve body if you don't use enough extracts or grains?

No doubt you can improve flavour, mouthfeel and head retention by not adding white sugar but why would you replace it with half a kilo or more of corn syrup and add nothing else?

Or is there something about "maize starch" I'm missing?

And it costs more than $6!!!

Smells like a plot to trick lagah brewers into thinking they are making top quality beer.

Wait a second, maize starch? I would have thought starch would be the last thing one would want to add to their beer. Maize sugar, or corn syrup, is made by hydrolysing maize starch to sugars.

Maize(Corn) Starch is what the products, Dextrose and Maltodextrin are derived from/same as. At a guess I would say that it is a liquid version of Coopers/CSR brewing sugar.
Unfortunately they dont list it as Dextrose% and Maltodextrin%.It would confuse the strict K+K brigade

No,

Its alight, its just a liquid sugar. Brewiser brand equal to a dextrose or body brew. I used it once and found good results.

Do not under estimate dextrose. in the right kit it can be fantastic.

I don't question the results, I question the naming. I think it is unlikely that it is starch because yeast don't like complex carbohydrates.

well deebee looks like you have the enviable task of ahb test guinnea pig.you found it first so you can try it out and give us all a report back.

ahh the price you pay for finding a new product. :angry: / :D

cheers
big d

Linz said:
Maize(Corn) Starch is what the products, Dextrose and Maltodextrin are derived from/same as. At a guess I would say that it is a liquid version of Coopers/CSR brewing sugar.
Unfortunately they dont list it as Dextrose% and Maltodextrin%.It would confuse the strict K+K brigade
To clarify a few things for everyone-

-The Brewiser Liquid brewing sugar is a kilo
-100% maize starch (and agreed, this is a fairly loose description ... but, many of the manufacturers of Dextrose also classify IT as a starch ... even thou this is not entirely true)
-The dextrose and maltodextrin commonly supplied in brewshops is a derivative of wheat.
-CSR brewing sugar is a combination of maltodextrin and sucrose (plain white sugar)
-Like maltodextrin, yeast will not break down "maize starch" entirely giving a higher final S.G. ... ingredients like these we use specifically to increase body
-Maize derivatives are becoming more popular these days in all applications because they are free of gluten. It is an excellent alternative to liquid glucose.
-There is nothing strict about the "K+K Brigade" ... they are as experimentive and creative as any brewer ... the can is just a base that they start with.

Hope this helps :)

Don't know about you guys, but around here we use corn starch as a thickening agent in gravies and fruit pie fillings and it is cheap as dirt-- when you buy good ol' "corn starch" and not some glorified repackaged "brewer's maize starch" crapola. Look around for a box of plain corn starch. If in fact that stuff is 100% corn starch, then there should be no difference and no reason to pay a premium. Funny though, I never thought of using it in beer. Seems like it should work now that I think about it.

Back