Brewing Without A Sheet Of Music

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last night I attempted a shot at biab... I had it planned out but my recipe sort of varied and I dont know what happend

but It went as follows

1.5kg Munich Malt
0.7kg Wheat Malt Extract
0.25kg a Caramunich 2
60min @ 66deg
20g Centennial @ 40mins
20g Cascade @ 10mins

10 litres of wort I ended up with - and I can taste a real honey tasting wort, with shite loads of flavour. I may have done it wrong or not stuck to the original recipe, but it tastes awesome, and I thank this forum for the inspiration to go to grain. Now I need to get some bigger equipment.

SG was at 1058 @ 70degrees.

Cheers
Wisey

Nice work! Nothing quite like your first AG!

I had no idea what I was doing but I made some wort.....

I was freeballin

10 litres of wort I ended up with - and I can taste a real honey tasting wort, with shite loads of flavour. I may have done it wrong or not stuck to the original recipe, but it tastes awesome, and I thank this forum for the inspiration to go to grain. Now I need to get some bigger equipment.

SG was at 1058 @ 70degrees.

Pretty much how I do most of my batches these days. Adding 10L of water to your wort should give you an OG around 1.040 (1.058 @ 70C is about 1.080 @ 18C), with a bitterness of about 26 IBU and ABV around 4%. Nice easy sessionable beer.

Just keep the temp down around 18C while fermenting and you'll have no problems.

love to hear the result and see a picture in What's in the glass.
u rock! :super:

I know the feeling, even when I plan my beers I seem to make at least one change when it comes to brewing. For instance I brewed a Dark Ale (ie like Tooheys Old) on the weekend and my recipe changed 4 times since I printed it :) Some of it was due to being short a few ingredients and some was just because I wanted to change something last minute. I'm a shocker for following directions or listening to advice sometimes because I want to try it my way :)

Haven't made an AG beer I couldn't drink yet so there must be some method to my madness!

I know the feeling, even when I plan my beers I seem to make at least one change when it comes to brewing. For instance I brewed a Dark Ale (ie like Tooheys Old) on the weekend and my recipe changed 4 times since I printed it :) Some of it was due to being short a few ingredients and some was just because I wanted to change something last minute. I'm a shocker for following directions or listening to advice sometimes because I want to try it my way :)
Ditto. Even though the recipe can be printed up, after much navel- gazing of course, but when it comes time to put it all together there's always the last- moment indecisiveness/ gut feeling/ lack of precisely the right ingredients that SNAFUs the whole thing! So its out with the red biro...
Haven't made an AG beer I couldn't drink yet so there must be some method to my madness!
Speak for yourself there champ! Only joking, I've been able to get though all my own too, but at times I wonder if my standards haven't slipped or if it was someone else's then perhaps I'd be tipping it... :eek: [Such sacrilege!]

Will get a picture of her for you fella's when shes in the Glass, but pouring into the fermentor it had a deep rich brown colour to it.

Maybe it'll lose some of this during fermenting.

Im keen to do another on the weekend.

:icon_offtopic:

kinda related.. My recipes always change on the fly, due to designing it, using beersmith, then I order the ingredients.
When I go to brew I realise the EBC of the grain has changed, since last time I had that particular grain, or the AA of the hops has changed since last crop, or both!

I NEVER remember to check these things before brew day. No big deal, but it's never exactly as planned, coz I need to make little adjustments here and there to try to stick to planned colour & bitterness.

I wonder why this 'checking of ingredients' step wont get embedded in my brain? Maybe too much product, not enough planning...

Latest posts

Back