Brewing with treated wastewater...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly suspect that in Oz, if you tried that someone would put you in gaol.
There are very strict rules about process and product ingredients and not mixing them when working with food. If you go to McDonalds, the paper placemat on your tray is there because the tray is/may be made from recycled plastic, food cant come into contact with recycled plastic.

In a brewery I wouldn't even think about it, legality aside, potable water is cheap, the risks of the public reaction to your beer having a perceived "piss" content could be very negative. That aside you would need a very good (expensive) analysis on a batch by batch basis, just for the mineral content.
Its great to think that the discharge from a tertiary sewage treatment plant is good enough to drink (better than blind mullets off Bondi beach as was the case only a couple of decades ago), but I wouldn't even think of brewing with it on a commercial bases.
Mark

If you have bought a bottle of water in Singapore odds are its recycled.
What strikes me as odd is the outcry against using human excrement for fertilizer and yet we readily use animal fertilizer! All the 'night soil' collected from London pre sanitation was shipped in barges to the country side for farmers to use as fertilizer on the land.

If you get water out of a river and there are people living along the river there is going to be waste water in the river and i think they made it law in United States that town water is drawn down river of there waste water so if they pollute the river it will affect the town water.

I'm prepared to ignore whatever evidence supports treated effluents suitability as potable water and go with my own prejudice against drinking / brewing with a liquid that was, at some point, contaminated with semen, blood, mucus, medical waste, shit and chemicals. Are really that hard up for fresh water?

Besides, everybody knows its the FLUORIDE thats the real danger. Thats why I only brew with organic rain water.

Organic Water FFS - Not even Coca Cola could get that one through.
See ACCC
Mark

PS even if its thinly diluted in a river, you are still a shit-stirrer Dave.
M

If you get water out of a river and there are people living along the river there is going to be waste water in the river and i think they made it law in United States that town water is drawn down river of there waste water so if they pollute the river it will affect the town water.
Prossesed water is returned to the river in NSW, Qld and WA then drawn out again to be treated for drinking water nothing wrong with it as long as don't think about where its been. :barf:

Latest posts

Back