Brewing With Rainwater From Concrete Tanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taflex

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's anything to be wary of with using rainwater from concrete tanks for brewing (apart from the obvious like clean gutters and tank)?

Any info or advice much appreciated.

Hi Taflex,

Now these points are only possibles ..........

Depending on the age of the tank it may have a high Carbonate content in the water due to leeching of the stone in the concrete.

If the first point applies you may need to lower the pH to a reasonable level but you will need a pH meter and phosphoric acid to do it properly.

The third and most obvious point is drink the water and if it tastes nice and fresh and clean you probabluy have good water to brew with.

If the above work out ok -- make a beer and taste that.

Basically suck it and see :)

Steve

Thanks for that, chiller. I was almost going to just PM you instead of starting this thread as I'd looked over a few old threads and noticed that you seemed like a bit of a guru on the subject.

Im on tank water at home. Currently coming out of an old concrete tank. Mine ferments away quite happily when i have a decent yeast in there with no other additives to the water whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back