Brewing With Malting Barley?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
firstly apologies for my ignorance and perhaps silly questions.

my bros father in law owns a farm and has access to malting barley that he sells to the viterra silo (i think?). I can get access to this at the end of his harvest, can i brew directly with this? or are there a few steps in the process before i can?

I am curently an extract brewer but looking to get into AG.

cheers!

Time.

It might be malting grade, but it sounds like it's straight from the farm, so it won't have actually gone through the malting process. You can't brew directly with it, you need some malted barley in there to convert the starch to sugar.

yeah its straight from the farm, is there anyway i could or get someone to convert it for me?

You should probably read up on AG brewing before figuring out what to do with it. http://howtobrew.com/intro.html or NickJD's $30 AG thread is a good place to start, I don't have the link handy but hopefully someone else will.

You could malt it yourself but I wouldn't even know where to start with that, it's not worth it on a DIY scale, and even less so if you're a beginner. You're better off buying some malt and starting with that, then you can use the unmalted stuff as an adjunct if you want.

You can do it for sure, but if your not willing to learn the process and science you are up for a disaster
If you are interested in using the barley get into all grain brewing with a good brand of malt first.

Learn to brew and then learn to malt it actually takes a bit to malt barley and get it where it needs to be

Have a search around the forum I remember a thread on using a clothes dryer to complete the process, it had and can be done just not as simple ad you may want

Good beers
Kleiny

Some answers here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww....=malting+barley

I'd be interested in having a crack if I were in your situation but I would also be trying out commercial malts first/during and developing an understanding of the characters you are after etc.

Nothing quite like DIY. Even if you make a brew with 80% commercial and 20% yours, it's still a good feeling.

Latest posts

Back