Brewing With Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leamos

Reaction score
I am starting to brew a toohey's old kit tomorrow and the guy at the HBS sold me a Amber malt mix (250g dex, 300g light malt, 200g dark malt and 250g maltodextrin) to use instead of brewer's sugar like the kit says to, do i just add it like i do with brewer's sugar ie just add it to the can of concentrate and the boiling water in the fermenter or do i have to boil it on the stove for a while?

No need to boil it or anything, just use it as you would the sugar and chuck it in the fermenter. Just make sure you mix it up properly, sometimes dried extract doesn't dissolve to readily.

sam

Ive always just added it like sugar. Some boiling probably wouldnt hurt, but I dont see any reason for it.

I don't boil it for any length of time but I add it to some water in a large pot and put the malt in and bring it to the boil and turn the gas off just ast it starts to boil.
I used to boil the wtaer first and then add the malt as it dissolves easier this way then trying to mix in the fermenter, but someone told be if you bring it to teh boil it will hold a better head.

Once the malt and anything else is dissolved I then add my kit and rinse the tin out into the pot and then once it's all dissolved tip into the fermenter.

I find this way easier to check everythig is dissolved properly and tipping it into the fermenter probably helps aerate it a bit as well.

Especially if you have got maltodextrin in there. That stuff will clump like crazy and take a lot of stirring to dissolve fully

Rich

Thats how I do mine as well Richlum, but I read somewhere thats its better to cool the wort down before tipping it in the fermenter, is this right or not?.

As long as the wort is within your yeast's preferred temperature range when you pitch it, then it doesn't really matter how hot (or cold) the wort is when you put it in the fermenter.
Unless you are pouring into into a glass carboy or demijohn, which will crack if the wort is too far outside the ambient temperature either way.

I pour into the fermenter hot and then add ice/cold water from the fridge to the fermenter to bring it up to volume and also to cool it down.

Pitch yeast once cool enough

I figure it will take longer to cool down in the hot metal pot which I can't add too much ice or water too (bout a 12 L pot)

Rich

This is the way I used to do kits way back.

Have your ferementer cleaned and sterlised.

Fill up the kitchen sink with hot tap water.
Sit the extract/kit tin in the sink for about 5-10 mins turning it upside down about half time.
After turning the extract/kit tin fill the jug (around 1.7 litres) and turn it on.

With your cleaned and sterlised fermenter on the bench.

When the jug has boiled open the extract/kit tin and pour into the fermenter. Add about 1/3 of the jug to the fermenter. Add a small amount of hot water to the extract tin and swirl. Let it sit on the bench.
Using one hand stir the mix and add the sugars slowly.
Add a little hot water as required.
Tip in the remainder of the extract/kit at the end and fill the fermenter to volume with cold water and any remainder hot water.
At my place the cold tap water was the right temp to give a full fermenter temp of around 23 deg C.
At your place you may need to use the cold towel, frozen milk bottle, fan tricks to get the temp down a little.
Pitch yeast, sit back and have a brew.

HTH,
Doc

I saw the topic and thought it was a question from someone in CUB.

Back