Brewing With Cedar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsy

Reaction score
Over the winter my brother (who is a Builder) would bring over most of the wood scraps from a weeks work, and come the weekend we would light a fire and sit outside and sample whatever brew I had on tap at the time.
After recently cleaning out the shed due to moving house, I discovered a large box of left over "Cedar" off-cuts. The aroma the box of scrap cuts was giving off was amazing. It immediately makes you feel like your sitting in a hot tub out in a crisp winters night air! So naturally my first reaction to this aroma was: "What can I brew with this?"
Has anyone ever brewed with Cedar before or have any recipes or styles suitable for Cedar Beer?

Any ideas at all would be a great help!

Cheers ;)

Dog fish head in the states did a cedar beer, they covered it on brewmasters episode 4. I can't remember what style it was though.

I guess the first step would be to find out how/if the cedar was treated.

If its safe then i would use it in a similar way to oak, ageing the fermented beer with it until you hit the flavour you want.

Dog fish head in the states did a cedar beer, they covered it on brewmasters episode 4. I can't remember what style it was though.

I guess the first step would be to find out how/if the cedar was treated.

If its safe then i would use it in a similar way to oak, ageing the fermented beer with it until you hit the flavour you want.

Yeah I've seen that episode, "Grain to Glass" was the name of it, as well as the beer...

A brown ale, a bit deeper shade of red than Raison D'Etre, gently nudged to 7% a.b.v. with beet sugars.
Sparingly hopped with Warrior and Liberty hops. The grains used in the mash include Pils, Wheat, Munich, Coffee, and Crystal.

That's all I have dug up so far. Might have to pull the Brew Masters DVD out and reload the memory bank!

Back