Brewing with cacao question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Morning all,
Im halfway through fermting an imperial porter and will be adding cacao nibs to the barrel post-ferment.
Ive had the nibs soaking in rum for the last two weeks.
Ive just started filtering the mixture and now have some freaking amazing rum-choc extract.
Question is, should i throw the nibs in with the rum?
Id prefer to leave them out of thebarrel to be honest, but happy to chuck em in if it leads to better flavour.
Ive noticed the rum extract process and subsequent filtering through coffee filter paper left behind a lot of fat and im really keen to avoid that going into the beer.... but again - flavour is the priority!

Next time, toast the nibs till fragrant. A lot of the oil will come out during that process and can be left behind.

If your extract has the flavours you're after, stick with that. If I make a great jus to put on a steak, I leave the bones behind

Whenever I've done a alcohol based extraction for nibs or hazelnuts I put the solution in the freezer for a day or so before filtering, the fat floats to the top and is easily removed.

I wouldn't bother putting the nibs in, you've extracted the flavour your after and it's in your rum...

Never understood why anyone uses cacao nibs in beer. Fat carries most of the flavour in chocolate, no cacao / chocolate infused beer ever tastes remotely like chocolate anyway.

Same argument applies to coffee beers; they always taste like shit coffee that even a Septic would struggle to drink.

Last edited:
Back