Quantcast

Brewing With Amarillo Hops

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

BDD

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Recently purchased a 100g pack of Amarillo hops. Having never used these hops before i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a boil procedure for these hops that will give a good indication of this hops flavour profile.

A recipe i was thinking of doing with these hops were:

1 can coopers Pale Ale
1 to 1.5kg of dry malt extract
200g crystal steeped.
20g Amarillo for 20 mins
20g Amarillo for 5 mins
US05 yeast.

Any ideas, comments and opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
That should give you pretty good idea.

Do a search for DrSmurto's Golden Ale (or DSGA) for a similar, well regarded brew. There's a kit version around the place.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Recently purchased a 100g pack of Amarillo hops. Having never used these hops before i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a boil procedure for these hops that will give a good indication of this hops flavour profile.

A recipe i was thinking of doing with these hops were:

1 can coopers Pale Ale
1 to 1.5kg of dry malt extract
200g crystal steeped.
20g Amarillo for 20 mins
20g Amarillo for 5 mins
US05 yeast.

Cheers!
And another 20g dry hopped. I enjoy Amarillo. Some dont - theres a thread out there re this.

Try this poll for info

loikar

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Cheers!
1 can coopers Pale Ale
1.5kg of dry malt extract
200g crystal steeped.
20g Amarillo for 30 mins
30g Amarillo at flameout
20g Amarillo Dry hop for 5 days post ferment, generally in secondary while chilling.
US05 yeast.

Should sit you around 40 IBU with an OG of 1050-1055, somewhere around 5.5% ABV and a big face full of Amarillo.
if you wanted you could add more in your 30min addition to increase bitterness and a touch more balance, but I think it will be fine as is with the late addition and dry hop.

That will let you know all about Amarillo

BF

DU99

Reaction score
i use thomas cooper's sparkling ale and wheat malt extract in the same recipe as above instead of the pale ale and dry malt

BDD

Reaction score
Cool. thanks for the input guys. will check out Smurtos recipe. Never dry hopped before but am keen to give it a go.

RobboMC

Reaction score
i use thomas cooper's sparkling ale and wheat malt extract in the same recipe as above instead of the pale ale and dry malt

+1 for this recipe
and I used 500g of dme.

I boiled 25g @ 15min and 25g @ 5 min.

Dr Smurto's is an excellent drop, best beer I've ever made.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
not as exciting as i remember unfortunatly

drinking dr.S' golden ale now. cracker of a beer. get on it

wyane

Reaction score
IMHO Amarillo is really nice dry-hopped. Check James Squire's Golden Ale aka Chancer for an idea.
Your recipe looks great otherwise!

I recently sampled one of these (below) at 21 days in the bottle and loved it (hard to resist cracking another one!)

1 x can Tooheys Special Draught (which i get from Colesworths when it's on special and immediately throw the yeast away)
1 x satchel of Safale S-04
300g Dextrose blended with 10% wheat malt
200g Maltodextrin
1kg Saunders malt extract
10g Coriander seed steeped 10min then pressed with back of spoon and strained into wort
6g Target boiled 45m
12g *** Amarillo *** dry hopped on day 6
OG 1042, bottled on day 11 with FG 1010

BDD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys! Might change a few things round with the recipe than what i originally posted and will give it a crack.

Cheers :D

Eyelusion

Reaction score
1 can coopers Pale Ale
1.5kg of dry malt extract
200g crystal steeped.
20g Amarillo for 30 mins
30g Amarillo at flameout
20g Amarillo Dry hop for 5 days post ferment, generally in secondary while chilling.
US05 yeast.

Should sit you around 40 IBU with an OG of 1050-1055, somewhere around 5.5% ABV and a big face full of Amarillo.
if you wanted you could add more in your 30min addition to increase bitterness and a touch more balance, but I think it will be fine as is with the late addition and dry hop.

That will let you know all about Amarillo

BF
I have done the same as about with great success. I love Amarillo and the above recipe will give you a good mouth full of it.
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts