Brewing To Style?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
This has had me wondering for the last couple of days, what is it that makes the beer you brew fit a particular style?

Is an American Pale Ale classed as such because of American hops, malt or yeast?

Is a Bock a Bock because I have used German Munich, German hops and a suitable lager yeast?

I know the style guidelines offer lots of pointers in GU and BU plus recommendations on indgredients but if I brew an English Ale using an American Ale yeast is it really an English Ale? How do we determine this if we wish to enter the beer into a competition?

I would be interested in all your thoughts.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

PS I posted this query to OCB as well.

TDA
when i brew, i try to brew to style, but if it doesnt quite make it
(due to available stock) it doesnt matter that much to me at the moment.
although i do try to keep within the OG, FG & IBU's of the style as much as i can.

where do you find the recomendations on ingredients used?

cheers
crackers

I base styles on BJCP style guidelines, as these are the guidelines most used in HB comps. You should generally use the varieties of hops, yeast and malts that are "traditionally" used.
Go to:
http://bjcp.org/style-index.html

thanks for that PM,
i think ive already got that bookmarked.
but with so many things bookmarked i forgot about it.

cheers
crackers

I printed out the pdf version and used it for train reading until I had just about every style memorised... was interesting :) For a while there... but not any more *cough cough* I was something of a style nazi...

I still find it annoying when people list recipes miles away from style but insist on using a stlye name... things like wits made with cascade hops are a pet hate of mine...

As brewers, (of whatever level) I think we should all be aware of the styles.

Anyway, cheers.
PoMo.

i often call my brews 'modified' style
as they arent quite in the guidelines, but not too far off.
FG might be a couple pts too low, IBU's might be a bit too high, etc

cheers
crackers

Minor deviations in numbers, etc are fine. I have no issue with that. Completely inappropriate ingredients are another thing entirely.

Can't say I am an expert in styles, but my current pet project is to craft a nice english bitter. This being the case I am trying to make it as authentic as practically possible, otherwise why bother to call it an english bitter ...

- not crazy enough to mess with water yet, tap is good enuf so far
- use malts available at HBS that fit the style (origin may not be spot on)
- definatley use yeast & hops that fit the style.

At the end of the day it has to taste good :p.

ps - most often broken guideline for me is the OG :lol:

JasonY said:
most often broken guideline for me is the OG :lol:
I just stick the word "Strong" somewhere in the name of the brew ;)

Latest posts

Back