Brewing temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jords84

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve started a batch of pale ale beer following a recipe that I got from my brew shop to make lager. Using a pale ale mix with yeast provided in pack. Start temp was around 25, went to 28 max and I’ve made a rookie error after reading that lager should be much lower temp so dropped it down to19 degrees. Just realised it was a ale yeast and have started to raise temp back up. She reading was 1070 at Stewart and has been at 1030 for the last 2 days (when it was 19 degrees) airlock became quite inactive. Have I stuffed this batch up rendering it no good for consumption? Or is it worth persisting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Help?

Hi all. I’ve started a batch of pale ale beer following a recipe that I got from my brew shop to make lager. Using a pale ale mix with yeast provided in pack. Start temp was around 25, went to 28 max and I’ve made a rookie error after reading that lager should be much lower temp so dropped it down to19 degrees. Just realised it was a ale yeast and have started to raise temp back up. She reading was 1070 at Stewart and has been at 1030 for the last 2 days (when it was 19 degrees) airlock became quite inactive. Have I stuffed this batch up rendering it no good for consumption? Or is it worth persisting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Help?
Hey mate. 25c is very high for any yeast, unless you are using Kveik which is more around 30-40c

A warm pitch can be beneficial (say 25c and cool down) I brew most of my ales around the 18c mark. I just finished a Russian Imeprial Stout that started at 1.096 and finished up at 1.020 going at 18c the whole way. I then raised it to 21c where it's sat for the last 4 or 5 days to encourage complete attenuation and finishing off.

No, lowering to 19c didn't do anything bad, in fact it should have been around that temp the whole time.

Not to say the batch is ruined, and also 1.030 is pretty high it may have stalled out. Consider buying a packet of us-05 dry yeast and pitching it straight in to try and finish it up.

Thanks very much for the advice. So you reckon I should drop the temp back down to around 19 degrees or so? Checked sg this afternoon and it had dropped to 1020.

Hey mate. 25c is very high for any yeast, unless you are using Kveik which is more around 30-40c

A warm pitch can be beneficial (say 25c and cool down) I brew most of my ales around the 18c mark. I just finished a Russian Imeprial Stout that started at 1.096 and finished up at 1.020 going at 18c the whole way. I then raised it to 21c where it's sat for the last 4 or 5 days to encourage complete attenuation and finishing off.

No, lowering to 19c didn't do anything bad, in fact it should have been around that temp the whole time.

Not to say the batch is ruined, and also 1.030 is pretty high it may have stalled out. Consider buying a packet of us-05 dry yeast and pitching it straight in to try and finish it up.

Thanks very much for the advice. So you reckon I should drop the temp back down to around 19 degrees or so? Checked sg yesterday afternoon and it had dropped to 1020. Has only been fermenting for just over 4 days

Thanks very much for the advice. So you reckon I should drop the temp back down to around 19 degrees or so? Checked sg yesterday afternoon and it had dropped to 1020. Has only been fermenting for just over 4 days
Hey mate. I would back it down to 21 or so and leave it there. Essentially, the warmer the fermentation the more likely yeast are to be in a frenzy. This means they start producing esters, and other compounds which give off flavours.

It's a balance between, warm enough that they do a good job, and not too cold that they go dormant or sluggish. Ale yeast should give off a little bit of yeast character, that's what makes them ales. But too warm, and you get things like Fusel Alcohols which lend that "hot" alcohol flavour like a paint stripper.

It's most likely that the beer will still be drinkable, it just won't be as good as it could be.

Generally speaking, I pitch the yeast when the beer is around 24 or 25, and cool it down in the fermenter fridge to 18. I let it ride at 18 for 3 days, then bump it up to 21 for 2 days. I then crash chill to 1 or 2c for a few days and keg (or bottle)

This is a rough method for standard ales where I may not he dry hopping etc.

Lagers I pitch around 21c and drop to 14. I then let em ride for a week and slowly bump to 21 over 2 days. Then let sit for a few days and chill.

So, in short I would probably back it down to 21c but most of the fermentation is already done.

Hey mate. I would back it down to 21 or so and leave it there. Essentially, the warmer the fermentation the more likely yeast are to be in a frenzy. This means they start producing esters, and other compounds which give off flavours.

It's a balance between, warm enough that they do a good job, and not too cold that they go dormant or sluggish. Ale yeast should give off a little bit of yeast character, that's what makes them ales. But too warm, and you get things like Fusel Alcohols which lend that "hot" alcohol flavour like a paint stripper.

It's most likely that the beer will still be drinkable, it just won't be as good as it could be.

Generally speaking, I pitch the yeast when the beer is around 24 or 25, and cool it down in the fermenter fridge to 18. I let it ride at 18 for 3 days, then bump it up to 21 for 2 days. I then crash chill to 1 or 2c for a few days and keg (or bottle)

This is a rough method for standard ales where I may not he dry hopping etc.

Lagers I pitch around 21c and drop to 14. I then let em ride for a week and slowly bump to 21 over 2 days. Then let sit for a few days and chill.

So, in short I would probably back it down to 21c but most of the fermentation is already done.
Thanks very much again for the advice mate. I really appreciate it. You’ve given some solid advice for doing it better for the next batch. Cooling it back down today and will test the sg again this arvo. Is there any way to tell before the second fermentation is complete if it’s going to taste like paint stripper? Or anything I can do at this stage to prevent that flavour?

Thanks very much again for the advice mate. I really appreciate it. You’ve given some solid advice for doing it better for the next batch. Cooling it back down today and will test the sg again this arvo. Is there any way to tell before the second fermentation is complete if it’s going to taste like paint stripper? Or anything I can do at this stage to prevent that flavour?

Hey mate, just taste what you pull out to do your hydrometer readings. It wont taste exactly like carbonated beer, but you can definatly taste any off flavours in there, and over time you will be able to tell how the finished beer will taste.

Hey mate, just taste what you pull out to do your hydrometer readings. It wont taste exactly like carbonated beer, but you can definatly taste any off flavours in there, and over time you will be able to tell how the finished beer will taste.
Thanks. I’ll have a taste this arvo when I take the sg reading. Fingers crossed it’s alright.

Oh there are so many things you could do to make it more like Tooheys, have you considered adding chilled horse urine to reduce the temperature 😆
🤣
Oh there are so many things you could do to make it more like Tooheys, have you considered adding chilled horse urine to reduce the temperature 😆
🤣 fair call. Each to their own. I was considering adding some of your sense of humour to make it a bit more dry though. Also some of your attitude to make it tasteless. 😜

🤣

🤣 fair call. Each to their own. I was considering adding some of your sense of humour to make it a bit more dry though. Also some of your attitude to make it tasteless. 😜
Tasteless would be an improvement on Tooheys New.

Hahah. Don't let the detractors put you off! Yeah tasting the hydrometer sample is the way to go. If it's terrible, then report back with what it tastes like and we can try work out if it will be ok!

For future beers I have found that for most standard ales/ale yeasts 18oC for the first few days and when fermentation slows move to 20oC and maybe 220C for the last few days before cooling/packaging. The lower temp at the beginning reduces esters/fusels production and rising temp helps keep fermentation going and gives the yeast the energy to clean up the beer at the end.

Hahah. Don't let the detractors put you off! Yeah tasting the hydrometer sample is the way to go. If it's terrible, then report back with what it tastes like and we can try work out if it will be ok!
It’s all good. We all know the old saying about opinions and a##holes. Everyone is entitled to one. It actually tastes alright and the sg has dropped to 1015. So I might bottle it tomorrow arvo.

Latest posts

Back