Brewing Temp Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanbos

Reaction score
hey guys

i gotta a pretty dumb question i guess but its been anoying the crap outta me for ages, i useually bre at about 24ish degress, like is recommended on the kits i use.

but i read around places and it is mentiond alot that about 18 is much better

IS THIS TRUE OR WHATS THE GO?

i also went and tried this lower temp just by not having my heater on, it was fermenting for a while then as the temp dropped the fermention slowed an now its stopped.......... what am i missing here?

Flanbos,
Could it be that the fermentation has stopped because it has finished? Check the gravity of your brew as this may be the case.
Generally, brewing towards the cooler end of the scale will result in cleaner, less fruity beers. 18C is nice for ale yeasts, and around 10C for lager yeasts.

dreamboat

Flanbos
most of the kits tell you to brew at a higher temp than is optimal as they are aiming it at people who are impatient and want cheap piss quick and aren't too concerned with spending extra time or money on improving their beer.
Since I starting using Safale yeast and fermenting around 18C my beers have never tasted as bad as when I followed the can directions.
Hoops

i dont think it has finished, it was only in 2 days, but ill check that

cheers

is it possible that i cant see it by wtching the airlock cuz the lower temp makes it slower to bubble through. it ya know what i mean?

i checked the reading and it no where near finihsed yet........very confusing

Don't rely on the bubbling from the airlock too much. If there is any sort of foam head on the top of the beer, then it will still be fermenting to some degree, and you need not worry.
What was your initial gravity? and the gravity that you just checked? What yeast are you using?

dreamboat

try to use a Safale next brew, better yeast than most kits and should ferment at the temps you like, to produce a cleaner beer

if you can ferment in a fridge or lower temps the SafLager is also good basic yeast

i cant remember the og now............didnt write it down ( i know i know very poor form)!! but the gravity now is 1.020

1020, thats getting close, what style of beer are you brewing?

Its just a kit of stockmans draught, got it as a present ahvent heard good things bout it so i just getting it outa the way

Latest posts

Back