Brewing Technique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of brewing do you do?

• Full extract.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partial mash.

• All Grain.

• Combination of above.

• Total voters

fergiej

Reaction score
I'm interested to know everyone's brewing style. For me its extract brewing and just starting into partial mash. (I'm still a wet behind the ears rookie brewer)

Extract, with small amounts of grain part mashed. I'm limited by the size of my tun at the moment (thermos, heh).

Done a fair few modified kits too.

Collecting gear to go all-grain over the next few months..

All grain with the odd kit thrown in when stocks are getting low or for session beers.

Cheers,
Doc

im a kit brewer but i use grumpy masterbrews and about to do extract and partial mash i just need to learn on right combos of hops and the grain to use ect and a nice big pot

So far I've just been doing kits, extracts and some specialty grains, but I am about to delve into the mysterious realms of partial mashing this weekend........

Mostly extract/kit based or partial mash. Just recently got into all grain brewing, and I admit at first I was a little daunted. It is a lot easier than some of the "hard core" mashers make it out to be though, and doesn't need to be anywhere near as technical as some people think. Only worth it if you have enough time on your hands though, as it isn't something that should be rushed.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

I do all kit brews but am starting to look at different ways of modifying (specialty grains etc) - at the moment I have a lot more curiosity than experience (and bottles)

Ditto as Jazman

Jazman - what do you think of the grumpy kits?

Pete - you're spot on in relation to grain brewing and complexity. If you can cook from base ingredients you can brew from grain.

I brew from grain - enjoy the process as much as the result . If I was subject to greater time constraints I'd probably brew from extract + specialty + fresh hops. - and if I had even less time I'd probably brew from ESB fresh wort kits - and if I didn't have enough time to pour a wort kit into a fermenter then I reckon I might just as well pickup a carton from my bottleshop.

cheers
reg

I do mainly kits, but I'm starting to dick with them more and more, trying different things.

Will probably get to partial mash soon but I don't think I've got the time to go all grain.

I did 20 kit and modified kit brews before getting into all grain...i don't think i could go back to making a kit beer.....the tastes that you can get from an all grain make it worth the time involved in brewing.

Reg grumpy are great i love the boston cream .
I used to use brewcraft and i thought they were good but grumpys are better.
grumpys therought their web site and forum have help me a lot in my brewing and if it wasnt for them iwould not entertain doing partial mashes as they take out the techinical rubbish and make seem easy and they will be helping me in that and maybee later i do a all grain brew.
Plus i have lots of phome calls to grumpys and they have always wiling to take give advice and help.I hear to that if you take your brew their they will have chat to see how u can improve.I learnt more from grumpys than any other hs

Hey Jaz ... do you work for "Grumpys"? ... or are you just their No1 Fan?

no dont work for them. not number one fan just found them to be the best in the state .I would say they are similair to esb in sydney

Give Tom at Jovial Monk a call. Hes bragged that he has a better range of grain than grumpys. Also, he stocks various imported plug (not pellet) hops, which grumpys dont. Hes got styrian goldings, fuggles (uk), cascade (uz), saaz (czech) and at times has tasmanian goldings flowers (whole) in stock).

I must admit I do like the spend over $100 and its free postage deal at grumpys though. And their kits seem to be pretty good.

Back