Brewing Systems: BIAB, 2V, 3V, BM etc.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were to build yourself a new all-grain homebrew system, what would you build and why? ($3.5k

• 2V System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3V System - no RIMS/HERMS

• 50l Braumeister

• 3V HERMS System

• Other

• Total voters
I'm surprised to see HERMS smashing RIMS, as my previous reading of AHB threads lead me to believe that RIMS was the favoured system.

Are people voting HERMS due to RIMS' tendency to scorch at lower rest temps (as I've read in this thread)?

Spiesy said:
I'm surprised to see HERMS smashing RIMS, as my previous reading of AHB threads lead me to believe that RIMS was the favoured system.

Are people voting HERMS due to RIMS' tendency to scorch at lower rest temps (as I've read in this thread)?
As the poster of the comment, I voted HERMS for that reason.

If you get an element with a low enough heat density the RIMS should be ok. I just think HERMS is safer at the lower temperatures.

If you don't mind some copper in the brewery I would design the HERMS using tightly wound coil as they use in a reflux still column in a 2" tube with a kegking element shoved up the middle.

(pic stolen from here) Using the coil on the right hand side in this pic. You could go a 2" or even a 3" version
reflux_tube_zps3c0a0b00.jpg

After 24 brews this year with my BM and likely to complete another 4-5 before 2013 comes to a close, I can say that i often think it would be nice to have a 3V system and allow for the hands on action and the manual attention to the brew day, somewhat similar to a micro or nano brew house. Then I think about how good it is to set and forget for a few hours and do other stuff while the BM does its thing ( being a new dad that matters right now ).

The BM's have their limitations but as you know, making great beer is about many factors, not just the mash. If you wants hands on & active brewing, go with the 3V, if you want to spend time doing a few other things while the mash happens go with the BM, for me it works. ( clean up factors are obvious )

What is it about BIAB that you feel, your beers are missing?

Grain bill limitations on th BM can be offset by DME addition.

Stick with the BIAB or move to the BM for simplicity, size and automation

Only go with the others if you want a new project and think you can come up cheaper than store purchased

You mentioned you were looking at starting a family soon.
Go the 50L Braumeister and if you can afford it the short malt pipe for experimental brews.

There would be nothing worse than putting together a beaut 3V system and then not having the time to brew on it. I have a 50L Braumeister a 3 kids and it makes a huge difference as to when you can and can't brew. Prior to this I had a 3V system so I can make the comparison.

I haven't really found any limitations with the Braumeister. It is just a kick arse well made piece of equipment that gives you ease of operations and great consistency.

If you like to do decoction mashes then that might be an issue for you ....

Cheers
Brad

Bribie G said:
That aside, what issues have you had with stepping, Crusty?
No real issues with step mashing, just a bit more mucking around.
The one thing I hate about Biab, & it's the only thing I hate, is constantly rousing the mash with my paint stirrer. It takes a little while to get from sacc rest to mash out & it's a real workout. I've only step mashed a couple of times with the urn & although not a serious problem, heating, rousing the mash & re-lagging the urn is a PITA.
I loved how the PID just took it from one temp to the next & rested for the set time before moving onto the next step.
I'm a bit time poor with the three kids so doing a single 90min infusion gives me a little window to take them to Macca's for lunch or drop them off in town or pick them up from friends houses etc. As far as the quality of the beers coming from the urn, no complaints here.

I have never had a 3 vessel system how my mate had a great HERMS set up and we both build brau clones. He says he will never use his 3V again and is thinking of selling due to the ease of use and great quality of beers. I love my clone and the beers coming out of it. The only down size i see is not being able to do big grain bills like a Russian imperial stout. Go the BM it really is that easy.

I currently use gas fired BIAB but have been looking at building one of the recirculating BIAB or pot in a pot type sysetms. Ive been undecided between one of punkins RIMS or a herm-it HERMS.
I dont have the cash now so its all just speculative for me. I use a 65lt pot now and plan to have a basket made to fit inside. I hope its just large enough to do double batches. Ill probably use my old urn as a HLT so i suppose it would be a 2 vessel system.

I have a 50lt BM and purchased for the same reasons as mentioned: set and forget nature, consistency, small footprint, plus we have 2 small kids around so being able to put the BM in a place little hands can't touch is important for me.

I was in the process of trying to make a single vessel recirc clone when my wife decided to buy the BM for me. Her logic was "how long will it take and how much will it cost to build?"
So we bought one and never looked back.

I have not done big beers with it (nothing over 1.065) and have no intention to do so. If I ever get the urge to have a RIS I'll go and buy it.

As for the thought that a BM is hands off, you still have to design your beer, fill it with water, crack your grain, mash in, sparge, remove grain and cube/chill. The only hands off aspect to a BM is the mash time/temp which some 3V systems have anyway.

With my BM, I bought time. Make more beer, less frequently, and get back an hour or two during the mash when I can be doing something else. Plus the missus is happy so happy wife, happy life.

I should also point out that the beers do not taste any different than my BIAB versions.

Made a Brau clone. First system. Built for the same reasons everyone else mentioned. Still wishing / thinking auto hopping would be nice. :)

I love mine! Can do up to 50L of 1.050/55. Did a weaty clone and ended up with just about 28L @ 1.093 including sugars, which most bigger beers have.

Definitely took some time and effort finding all the parts, but satisfying, and a ton cheaper than the real thing. Pretty easy to clean up and a cinch to use.

Cheers!

Back