Brewing Sugar Measuring Spoon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
For all you bottlers out there, would someone be kind enough to tell me how many grams ( using scales ) of dextrose is in the small side of one of those red or white double ended measuring spoons. I bulk primed yesterday & put 175g of dextrose in 19L of beer instead of 145g. :angry:
Going to be carbed at 2.8vol/co2 instead of 2.5, dammit. I think I worked out that I would have 3g in each 345ml bottle. Go the fizz, yeah.

For all you bottlers out there, would someone be kind enough to tell me how many grams ( using scales ) of dextrose is in the small side of one of those red or white double ended measuring spoons. I bulk primed yesterday & put 175g of dextrose in 19L of beer instead of 145g. :angry:
Going to be carbed at 2.8vol/co2 instead of 2.5, dammit. I think I worked out that I would have 3g in each 345ml bottle. Go the fizz, yeah.

From memory I think they are 3g. At 2.8carb level may be nice depending on the style. Probably too high for an English ale, but a bit low for a wiezen.

I think the one I had was 8g for 750ml so id guess its 4g for 375ml. But at that not sure the volumes it is. It would be over 2.5v as it was fairly carbed I wouldnt want to go higher

Whatever mine is it's too small, carbonation levels in my last case-swap beer is proof of that - so you might be OK if you think it could be overcarbonated. :)

Got one of these spoons to check.
The small end holds 3g white sugar or 2g dextrose.

Good point about measuring both, I've only used sugar for priming so didn't even think about dex.

I've always thought for a given volume, dex was actually heavier than white sugar due to the more compact crystals; but never have measured it. Looks like it is the other way.

QldKev

Now that explains alot. Wondered why mine weren't carbing as much as I wanted... Cheers Crusty

I bottle prime using the two sided measuring spoon. It isnt much use in its standard form if you want to correctly prime anything from a stout to a wheat beer. I have cut the slot on one side quite deep and then use a variable height of electrical tape to get the correct dose. I check this using a small set of scales. I double side the tape so you dont have the sticky side catching sugar. A quick dunk in metho to sterilise and off you go. I can get from 4 to 9 grams depending on what I want.

Back