Brewing Schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out what needs to be brewed when for the Mini-Comps this year. I have the first 2 entries sorted for the January and March mini-comps.

I've been attempting to use Beersmith calender to schedule my dates and assign brews to the correct times according to the comp calendar. I've been able to somewhat dial it in to make it work, although it's a little rudimentary. Would also like to dial in the States and hopefully Nationals into the system too.

I was wondering if anyone uses a program like MS Project to work out a schedule for brewing. Or even just a spreadsheet based program. What with critical paths and the like. Would be good to align everything based on fermenting fridge space, yeast strain etc.

Anyone know of anything available?

I use Project for the houses I build and its a pretty good program, allows me to work out critical paths and helps me remember to do the not so usual things, but maybe a bit too in depth for brewing (mainly because of cost....) Open office has a free program, but its name eludes me. I should really find out though as i've heard its better than MS project.

Edit..

Found it! Its not actually a Open Office program, but the price tag is right.

http://openproj.org/

There are several all purpose Gantt Chart free programs around. Haven't had anything to do with Gantys for years but they are great for setting timelines, milestones, slippage etc. They were designed as a production tool about 200 years ago in the textile industry in England and first example of a Just In Time system and would be perfect for brew scheduling, and when computers arose, the Gantt chart came into its glory. Clever Mr Gantt. Bet Mr Bass had a couple :p

generic example:

visio_gantt_chart.jpg

Once you get over the learning curve, each brew is going to be pretty much the same: brew: pitch: primary: secondary: polyclar: bottle / keg etc etc, so you only need to tweak the timelines for each brew batch.

Edit: Tucows have a few to try

Thanks lads... I think I'll just get myself a copy of MS project then. Have a little play around and see if I can get it sorted. It'd be a good skill to have in my line of work anyway as MS project is considered the standard.

For me the scheduling would mostly be about fermenting fridge space and time. I no-chill so brewing isn't a problem. I want to do a few lagers this year and let them sit for a looong time... Around 6 months would be good, but they tend to slow the brewhouse when in lager mode. So understanding the timing and then co-ordinating would be great.

I had a look at Openproject today. Its very similar to MS project, i'd suggest you have a download and see if it does what you want it to before shelling out for MS project.

Latest posts

Back