Brewing Plans For The Year 05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kook said:
I may make it to Het Anker for the brewing of Curvee Van de Keizer too, but it'll depend on work at the time.
What do you mean depend on work kook ?
I'm still trying to decide whether you are on a working holiday in the UK, or a drinking holiday in Europe :lol: :D
Honestly sounds like you have making the most of it.
I look forward to your reviews on Saisons when you get to them.

What shiney new pieces of kit are you looking to bring back in 2007 ?

Beers,
Doc

I'm on a "working holiday". I'm doing contract work over here, saving my cash then spending it on holidays (Brugge new years, Paris next weekend). On the weekends whilst working i've been able to go to beer festivals etc. It'll depend if I'm in a contract at the time of the brewing at Het Anker as to whether I can make it across for it. On the up side the contract market over here has improved and pay rates are up ;)

I've only tried three saisons since I've been here, the best on Saturday in Brugge. Dupont Saison Biologique on draft at the Brasserie Erasmus. It was recommended by the owner as a good match with my meal (Cod cooked in chimay white!).

I'm going to pick up a pump, gauges, cfwc, float switches etc from morebeer.com as the exchange rate to US$ is very good at the moment. I'll just ship it all to AUS so its waiting for when I eventually get home. I've got a while to sort out design but I'd like a system similar to the B3-1550 on morebeer.com only two tier.

Kook,

I'm sure you will also be checking out the Camra Great British Beer Festival in August as well.
Just been checking out the Pics from 2004 here.
Looks like a lot of real ale that must be tried and rated.

Beers,
Doc

GBBF2004_03.jpg

Oh man now that looks like my kind of beer festival!! mmmm how many frequent flyer points will I have by August???

1. Get a grain mill, can't wait to do this, not only to drop the price, but for fresh grain( nah, really to drop the price!!!)

2. Not change my recipe 6 times on the morning of brewday!!

3.) Brew more lagers, especially north german pils, and a danish lager.

4.) Finally get the guts to do a pale ale with a 1:1 ratio of o.g to ibu's, i always usually only hop to about 30 ibu's on a 1.045-50 pale, so i wanna do a 1.045, 45 ibu pale!.

5.) Fill my 90 or so empty longnecks!!!

6.) Brew an altbier.

I've come up with a couple more plans for 2005.
Looks like I'll be getting another trip to the US this year for work.
Fingers crossed it will be to San Diego for a confernce. If so then I will be scheduling in a visit to White Labs and Stone Brewing.
As well as tracking down every great Imperial IPA such as the Dogfish Head range, Racer 8 .........

Doc

that would be unreal doc.you would get to try some ruination etc and compare to what the clones are like that some of us hopheads have been brewing.

cheers
big d

big d said:
that would be unreal doc.you would get to try some ruination etc and compare to what the clones are like that some of us hopheads have been brewing.
Absolutely. Top of my list would be the Arrogant *******, then the Double *******, then the Ruinations and the rest.
A couple of Stone Brewing Growlers and a tour of the brewery and some glassware won't go amiss either :ph34r:

Doc

doc, damn you :p

how great would that be, if you manage it, i'll be a jealous man.

Duff said:
2005 will see me trying to develop more original AG receipes. I have done my first which is in secondary now, an Amber Ale style, but want to start brewing porters, bitters, wheat's and have a dab at some of the European styles.

Can't wait :)

Duff.
[post="39918"][/post]​

Well we're now two thirds of our way through 2005. How's everyone's predictions at the start of the year going? I still haven't done too many European styles yet, but am brewing my first Imperial IPA on Saturday, OG: 1.077 IBU: 62.

Mmmmmm.......

Doc said:
big d said:
Absolutely. Top of my list would be the Arrogant *******, then the Double *******, then the Ruinations and the rest.
A couple of Stone Brewing Growlers and a tour of the brewery and some glassware won't go amiss either :ph34r:

Doc
[post="40862"][/post]​

Doc,

Have you got a recipe for any of these? - Had them all at the GBBF - The Ruination ale was something else :chug:

johnno said:
This year I will be doing AG in small batches. 12-13 litres. As I cannot drink the brews I have been making quickly enough I thought I would go this way. I have the ability to do this with my current setup without spending any more dosh.
I will also be able to make a few more styles as I will be finishing them off quicker.

cheers
[post="39917"][/post]​

Ahem,
I take that back. Cant drink the beer quick enough but I have gotten into Full size batches.
Here's to beer. :chug:

johnno

My brewing has taken a bit of a left turn recently now that comp brewing season is as good as over....

I've started working on some soured beers. I blame it on reading "wildbrews" :beerbang:

First of the rank was a Berliner Weisse. This in a no-boil beer of which I removed 20% of the wort and seeded it with Lactobacillus... then re-introduced it to the rest of the wort that was fermented with a Bavarian Wheat yeast. The Lactic ferment got down to a Ph of 3! and the smell by day 3 @ 30deg was actually palatable in a strange way. On tasting it has a lovely sour tang.... Will keg and monitor over the longer term. I did a split batch and kept one fermentor infection free so I'll have something to compare it (or blend ) to...

Next one on the list is a Flanders.... where I'll be introducing another infection into the brewhouse.... Brettanomyces :eek:

Asher for now

Well, I certainly haven't changed my avatar yet.

Nor have I made my spiced beers.

...but I have made plenty of beer to keep me and my friends supplied.

Seth

Asher said:
Next one on the list is a Flanders.... where I'll be introducing another infection into the brewhouse.... Brettanomyces :eek:

Asher for now
[post="74863"][/post]​

Asher.

Have I got a linky-link for you. :beerbang:

Sour Ales

Enjoy!

Warren -

Great link Warren - you guys are a portal to an absolute wealth of info.... :)

Not by accident Ross. :lol:

I've got about 500g of 3 year old stinking Goldings Flowers sitting in my garage all aged up and just waiting to go.

Stay tuned.

Warren -

Ross said:
Doc said:
big d said:

Doc
[post="40862"][/post]​

Doc,

Have you got a recipe for any of these? - Had them all at the GBBF - The Ruination ale was something else :chug:
[post="74859"][/post]​

For the Arrogant ******* there is a few clone recipes flying around. I did one about a year ago, and it came out really nice. It was hoppier than the original though. Do a search for the Big Beers Experimentation topic and you should be able to find it.
There was a clone recipe for Ruination in the Hoppy Beers issue a while back.
I don't know of one for the Double ******* though.

Beers,
Doc

great link warren - will add to my growing pile of paperwork on souring

I've got hops sitting in mesh covered ice cream containers too.... makes great shed potpuri I recon

Thanks
Asher

I

Back