Brewing Plans For The Year 05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day
Brew a few really good English bitters. Love this style but most of my many, many attempts are too ordinary.
Try to brew a few different styles for the Bathurst Comp but running out time for the new early Feb deadline.
All the best, Barry.

After about 4 k&k's i made the leap to extract the other day. Put down my first brew using a little grain to add more flavour and colour. Hopefully all is well as its been left alone for almost a week now without me there.
Basically 05 will be a continuation of this. No plans whatsoever to go ag at the moment. I dont see the need nor have the time or patience.
want to spend the new year trying out all different grains to see what flavour i get from what. (any suggestions on good literature for this?)

Only have one fermentation fridge,. So currently it is all lagers or all ales. Might have to find a second, possibly even a third for these purposes.

EDIT
Forgot to add im looking to get into liquid yeasties. Was spose to use them in the last brew bu HBS guy said he ouldnt get the one i wanted, and i only found out when i picked up my other ingerients i ordered.
Looking at getting as many different styles and types as possible here to give me more freedom in my brews.

Hi
My yeast bank is govening my next batches in the next few weeks
1. Dusselddorf Alt, trying my best to get this style right and this one is looking good after my other 3 attempts (not that they were bad). Will lager this beer for 4 weeks min.

2. Another Kolsch with a fresh wyeast pack. Just love this beer when the knoble hops come through. Great refreshing beer. Lagered for 4 weeks.

3. Munich Dunkel. I have been inspired by this beer which is available on tap at the local German Club. I have developed the recipe from many tastings and its a great beer if you get it right, anothe beer to lager for 4 weeks.

4. Imperial Rye IPA. The second batch of this beer as I have 10kg left of Rye malt. A big strong hoppy IPA, Yummm

Now working on some Ale recipes for a quicker turnaround.
Cheers
Ray

Well,

I am going to progress from K&B to Partial's then AG hopefully by Early NY. Thats my main aim.

Brew Belgian style beers for a while. Got a taste for them....

I have setup this year:-

Keg system in an Old Fridge.

Setup the Pit in the Garage to brew / Store as it stay at 20 or less all year round
(ONly a Small Shed, 45x25) he he

Get a few more fermenters to add to the 7 I have. Can never have enought.

Try to keep my beer longer. Always taking it to party and handing it out. Never any left after a month or two of making a good one :(

Setup some storage or cupboards for the mountains of brew additives etc I have

Datfrogholio

experiment with hop combinations and yeast cultures based on an extract base of 1.5kg wheat lme,1kg light dme, pride of ringwood to ibu of 22/24, and take it from there with flavour/aroma hops and yeast variations.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh yeah and maybe som choccy malt for colour and complexity.

Backlane Brewery said:
10- Give up smoking. Sorry, that's a different list.
Actually, quitting the smokes will definitely improve your ability to evaluate beer, so I'll pay that as relevant ;-) I've gotta get off the evil things myself too (again <_< ).

Apart from that, I wanna look at getting a NASA fuelled AG setup going sometime in the new year, so I'll be sure to hassle you folks a bit (not too much hopefully) when I get around to that.

getting my ag brew sculpture upright and doing what it should (gulp hoping hoping)

My plans are to do some modifications to the existing brew stand to include NASA burners and a 90 litre boil kettle.

Make a stand for my new ( Christmas Present ) CRANKANSTEIN 3 roller mill and motorise it :D

And this year I want to finalise a good recipe for my " house ale " and concentrate on making different beers like an Alt, Kolsch,octoberfest, saison, bock, etc.

I want to get into yeast ranching and build up a stock.

I want to convert as many people as I can to the joys of mash brewing or at least adding some grains to their kit extracts ;)

Phew!!! Another busy year!

Happy new year and good brewing to all,

Cheers

Thanks Ray,
I have seen a couple of your recipes on the craft brewer and they look good.
I am not ready to brew yet but I will send you an email and get your recipes if you dont mind.
I have bought a few books recently and have read a lot about the styles I want to make so now it is only a matter of getting into it.
Cheers,

1. Excercise more so I can drink more beer and then brew more beer.

2. Replate and rehouse all my yeasties.

3. Reread all my brewing books and notes.

4. Have a crack at the Victorian comp in January

5. Try and make at least one brew this year with each yeast out of the farm

6. Buy some of those cute 3 gallon kegs from Brewers Discount in the US as soon as the reditcard recovers from Christmas abuse.

Now these aren't in any order.

Brew as often as I can.

Get 6 more kegs and some half size kegs.

Continue the friendships on this list and develop a "brew whenever I can, sorry able :)" with the Adelaide Floccs and mini floccs. And of course share a brewday with any Adelaide brewers wanting to go the next step of all grain.

Brew some more Belgian beers.

Perfect an Aussie ale as a house beer for "visitors".

Confront my fear of Cascade and Chinook. This point is easily achieved by never using them.

Brew a winter weight Wee Heavy.

Get a 45kg gas bottle fitted.

Re-activate all my yeast and re-store them under water for another year.

Contemplate brewing a lager ............ that was long enough. :)

Always be thinking about my next brewday by the begining of the current sparge.

Confound all my brew friends by converting my system to electric and HERMS. [I jest]

That is a few things to da and hopefully some will get done.

Steve

Start up a 'i don't like people calling brew gear cute' group, see lager's post above. :ph34r: ........ ;)

Also just continue to advance my brewing and brewing knowledge and maybe get a few new nice pieces of brew gear along the way.

One of the first brews when the weather fades a bit will be the imperial vanilla bourbon porter, but pretty much as always the rest of the year will be full of recipes i will continue to put my heart, soul and time into.

Happy new year brewers.
Jayse

Real kegs are 45 litres.

19 litre kegs are just a tease.

11 litre kegs are.........

ok not cute, I take that back. They are stainless steel, so they will qualify for shiney gear purchase in 2005.

ch . . Perfect an Aussie ale as a house beer for "visitors". . Steve [/QUOTE said:
This can be and endless and everchanging pursuit, butone that i,ve found interesting and has landed me 2 medals in an amateur comp.

Its not the result but the journey taken.

Get my brewhaus back online

expand to a more user friendly system. Need some large stainless beer dispensing vessels to make a HLT, mash tun and kettle.

Get mor yeast varieties

I must reply to Pint of Lager above. I believe that Real Kegs are 18 gallon, or are we talking wooden barrels?
Back to the topic:
*I plan 2 change my avatar.
*I aspire to being competitive this year, and to brew 2 special spiced ales - one with homegrown chilis, and one with homegrown (I hear that it's called dry-hemping).
*...and everyone's wish; to keep myself and friends in homebrew.
*Oh yeah, and some birthday beers 4 some good ol' boyz &/or grrrlz.

Sethule out

I have decided that this year I will not cheat & simply bring home a keggy of Pilsner from the brewery. I am going to start brewing at home again. Started today with a Flekovaky. Next week or maybe later this week, will be a Firkin Bolter. Maybe one a fortnight should be the goal.
Cheers
Gerard

I know this is AHB, but my only brewing plans for 2005 are to visit Cantillon on an open day and hopefully "assist" in brewing a lambic :)

I may make it to Het Anker for the brewing of Curvee Van de Keizer too, but it'll depend on work at the time.

I should be back into brewing back home by early 2007 though. And with some shiny new gear ;)

Back