Brewing Myths - Recirculation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Why do we do it?
If we are using a decent filter system in the MLT this will stop any big bits coming through and a dose of Irish Moss or similar in the kettle will take care of the proteins.
I have missed out the recirculation by mistake before now and not really noticed any difference to the finished beer.
Is it anther case of blindly following what has been written.

You know i actually asked this question of GS at the recent brew day, and he had an answer as to why it was important.

Unfortunately i was too pissed and can't remember the answer, although it seemed to make sense :)

Actually the jury is out on this question. One of my german brewing books talks about just opening the taps straight to the kettle. [Bavarian Helles -- Classic Beer Style series]

Those breweries often use very sophisticated means to filter or centrifuge the wort between the tun and the kettle.

On a commercial scale kettle the amount of grain trapped under the false bottom in proportion to the total boil volume is going to be very small. whereas in the homebrew setup that grain that gets through when the tap is first opened is proportionally quite high.

Some of the material that gets through can also be unconverted starch which will add to the problems of hazy beer.

If you are REALLY intent on no particles in the wort put a piece of muslin around the runoff hose to further filter the wort after you recirculate. It only needs to be loose like a small bag held to the hose with a rubber band.

Some particles in the wort are useful as they will be nucleation points for protiens to adhere to during the boil.

On our scale of brewing based on the volumes and proportions of husk etc that may be carried over to the boil I would say it is possibly not a myth. :)

Steve

Back